DIR and/or Hog not for the Atlantic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While it is no secret the roots of hog/DIR diving started in cave diving, it is a series of diving principals which extends to all forms of diving, no matter what the environment or location is.

Nope.

DIR doesn't even apply to all types of cave diving.

Daniel, I think JJ might disagree with you . . .

And I think the side-mounters and sump divers would disagree with him.

JJ is a great a great diver, and salesman. :)

The reverse: I have made over 1200 cave dives (certified 1983), and I have never used DIR - what does that say?

The reverse: I have made over 1200 cave dives (certified 1983), and I have never used DIR - what does that say?

That clearly DIR doesn't work and cannot work inside a cave. Anyone claiming to dive DIR inside caves successfully clearly isn't actually diving DIR and is doing something else because DIR doesn't work as your 1200 non-DIR cave dives prove.

Let me know when you come up with to call all the diving that the GUE Tech2 certified diver do around here if it isn't "DIR".... I'll make sure to send the memo out so we all know what to call what we're doing...

It says you were trained another way.

However, your attitude on this board and several others suggests that you take time out of your day just to trash people who chose to dive DIR.

Nope. DIR is a cave protocol.

Use of the term DIR for any other dive profile is nothing more than a misappropriation for one's own needs.

you're right. JJ and George have never done any wreck diving to speak of. they should really get more experience outside of the cave before trying to claim their system works outside of caves...

and florida doesn't even really have any wrecks to speak of, right? so how would they have gained any experience or tested their system on wrecks and non-cave diving situations? its as if divers in the pacific northwest were developing cave protocols. it just doesn't fly if there's no wrecks to dive on...

George made many wreck dives before he ever set a pair of his fins in a cave; JJ has several impressive wreck dives. Similar skill sets and profiles are needed for both types of diving, but not the same.

"Because DIR's insistence on standardization is frequently misunderstood, it sometimes becomes a source of tension among divers. This is because some see the insistence on uniformity as an indictment of practices that do not abide by DIR principles. However, there is nothing essentially hostile or critical about DIR; in its most basic form, it is ultimately pragmatic, promoting the concept of uniformity within and among teams of divers. However, to be fair, there is a certain degree of legitimate tension generated by imprudent advocates of DIR, who, having personally benefited from the system, take it upon them to become almost evangelical in the promotion of what they understand to be its tenets. However, this is not an intrinsic weakness of DIR; all successful movements have their zealots."

JJ

gue.com/Equipment/Evolution/index.html

That clearly DIR doesn't work and cannot work inside a cave. Anyone claiming to dive DIR inside caves successfully clearly isn't actually diving DIR and is doing something else because DIR doesn't work as your 1200 non-DIR cave dives prove.
reductio ad absurdum

you're right. JJ and George have never done any wreck diving to speak of. they should really get more experience outside of the cave before trying to claim their system works outside of caves...

and florida doesn't even really have any wrecks to speak of, right? so how would they have gained any experience or tested their system on wrecks and non-cave diving situations? its as if divers in the pacific northwest were developing cave protocols. it just doesn't fly if there's no wrecks to dive on...

The term facetious comes to mind here, methinks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom