DIR controversy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mudchick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've read the other posts and understand a bit of the philosophy but it appears from some of the responses that there is a certain amount of controversy regarding it. Can someone expand on that for me? I mean diving efficiently and proficiently is something we strive for isn't it? What is specific to the DIR philosophy that causes problems for some?

Easy, DIR > Doing It Right.

So, everybody else must be Doing It Wrong... :11:

There are also a number of Internet DIR know-it-alls without any practical experience. They can be spotted by the fact that whevenever you attempt to stray from the DIR Path their reply will be "OMG, you're gonna die!" :D

BTW, you'll find that this discussion is not new, almost troll-like...

While I sometimes am guilty of stirring the pot (not DIR) there is absolutely nothing wrong with DIR and in fact the method they profess is very well thought out and reasoned. Thing is that some people will never fit into a single mold. Probably the implication that doing it right implies everyone who does not follow DIR practice is not. BUT, I think sometimes that inference is unfortunate and is not intended. I have aquired a number of new tricks from listening to DIR divers in this forum and they give good advice. Nothing wrong with DIR but there are other ways to skin a cat to use an unfortunate cliche'. N

Under the assumption that this isn't trolling, Laurens has the best answer. The problem is that many people become offended when someone says they aren't doing it right. DIR is more than a set of equipment, it's a thought process and a teamwork methodology. Everything is designed so that the team can take on some of the most demanding dives in the world and do this repeatedly and safely. A DIR diver form the US should be able to dive with a DIR diver in Europe with little problem underwater, despite a language barrier.

The problem, as I see it, is that many people are offended by the insistence that there is one way to dive. "What's wrong with my jacket BC and split fins"? Nothing, but they aren't DIR.

There are few, if any, people who are 100% DIR all the time. There are a lot of people who pick and choose what they want out of the DIR holistic approach. They are no more DIR than anyone else (DIR is all or nothing) but by thinking about the situation and making a rational choice, they're probably a safer diver for doing so.

Listen and learn and ask questions. At the least, you may learn a few things that may make you a better diver.

This could get sticky, My advice is to buy the book, {I did} read it, ask questions if you need to , and decide for yourself. DIR for all the abuse, they recieve, is just another cert agency with a standard of diving skills and practices that they prescribe to. Diving safe should be everyones primary concern, regardless of agency.
Eric

OK, that was a bit nasty - maybe even troll-like. I'll elaborate.

To me, it just seems some DIR folks are so involved in the DIR philosiphy, that they forget diving is about having fun...

Z...

Since you say you have read some and have a flavor for the philosophy, gear configuration and methods I'll focus on the controversy.

Nobody wants to told they are wrong, especially when they are in the mainstream doing as they were taught. So along comes this DIR thing claiming that they Do It Right. This is enough to get folks defensive before they even start. Mayby if they had called it COD (Cave Optimized Diving) things would be different.

As is often stressed diving is an adpatation. Adapting to breathe and swim underwater is both skills and gear. As divers become comforetable with those skills they can become very attached to their configuration and don't want to be told they are wrong or need to change. What works for you works for you, now what I mean?

Some flat out have an attitiude but most are fine folks with superior training and skills.

I think a lot the controversy stems from DIR challenging the mainstream and that is a normal reaction.

Pete

Well at least they didn't call it DIB (Doin' It Best) :D

As I understand it, Doing it Right came out of a reporter's line of questions about how a group of divers were able to spend so much time 1000's of feet into caves surveying and mapping and not kill a single one of them. The answer was because we're doing it right.

Back
Top Bottom