DIR controversy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim:
I've got more hair......

JeffG:
and I'm not as fat (or as old) :wink:
OK ... OK ... no need to get personal ... I'm leaving now ... :wink:

... Bob (bald, fat, and old diver)

You know, you can argue the gear . . . you can argue the arrogance. You can argue whether consistency is desirable or a suppression of individual expression. You can argue until the cows come home as to whether DIR has increased or decreased the variability in equipment and procedures out there in the sea.

But I had an epiphany today.

I realized that I trust somebody who has espoused DIR. Their skills may not be where their heart is (mine aren't), but deep down where it counts, they have accepted the idea of team. They have accepted the responsibility to stay with their teammates and to be there to help them if something goes wrong, to the best of their ability. They have accepted the responsibility to let the team know if their skills or their confidence are not up to the task proposed. They are teammates, and their behavior is predictable, and I trust them. That alone is worth it all . . . the training, the practice, and the hostility I only run into on the internet.

Err ... that's Karl Marx.

minnesota01r6:
Again, the entire premise of my posts was to point out that the argument by Thalassamania that DIR is a better system of diving because of the standard way that air shres are conducted is a fallacy because if DIR divers are diving with non-DIR divers, there is MORE variation in equipment, rather than less.

Not true. there's plenty of PADI trained non-DIR divers using air2 type backups who must donate their primary. You have air2s, octos secured here, there or not at all and even some on the left rather than the right. All combinations used in "conventional" dive training and training standards don't stipulate one way or the other.
Unfortunately, the DIR crowd could not come to terms with this and felt the need to reply that the hypothetical situation was worthless and so inconceivable that it did not merit answering. Again, I was merely trying to point out that DIR has introduced MORE variation to the diving community as a whole, rather than reduce it. (but, this can be a good thing!) Furthermore the entire argument is flawed because as others have stated, an OOG diver will go for your primary.

//ok, it's dead

Actually, the basic equipment configuration the GUE uses is a hogarthian configuration and niether GUE or DIR invented or introduced it. In fact the configuration is named afte a persom (Bill Hogarth Main) who I don't believe refers to himself as DIR and in fact has gone around with JJ and GI3 is a biug way (see thedecostop archives).

As I understand it, GUE didn't even come up with the name DIR. I've been told that the term was raken from an old NAUI text book which isn't hard to believe since all the GUE instructors were teaching for other agencies before teaching for GUE.

Again, as I pointed out, there's more than a few PADI trained divers who donate their primary. Some are using air2 type devices and some of them have their backup around their neck. Niether DIR or the hogarthian configuration introduce even the slightest bit of additional variation.

Ben_ca:
Okey Rick I'll jump in.

Minnesota: Take the class.... and like I told Adobo.... Just dive dude :)

There's a lot of good answers that were given both from DIR and non DIR people... now you are just argueing just to argue...

Like Bob said... slow down and listen.. and just dive. Whether you dive DIR or not we really don't care... For me DIR works...

It was great advice too. Right there with, "open you ears and close your mouth."

TSandM:
You know, you can argue the gear . . . you can argue the arrogance. You can argue whether consistency is desirable or a suppression of individual expression. You can argue until the cows come home as to whether DIR has increased or decreased the variability in equipment and procedures out there in the sea.

But I had an epiphany today.

I realized that I trust somebody who has espoused DIR. Their skills may not be where their heart is (mine aren't), but deep down where it counts, they have accepted the idea of team. They have accepted the responsibility to stay with their teammates and to be there to help them if something goes wrong, to the best of their ability. They have accepted the responsibility to let the team know if their skills or their confidence are not up to the task proposed. They are teammates, and their behavior is predictable, and I trust them. That alone is worth it all . . . the training, the practice, and the hostility I only run into on the internet.
The Vancouver Canucks have a job opening as coach if you are interested....

Haha, that was humour people... in case some one is about to jump me...

Nicely said Lynn.... and i am sincere when i say that.... but i am of the position that scuba is an individual thing... but again that is just me.

I am about to say something that no one on SB knows.... big thing here....

EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION!!!!

this post of mine with the above quote is an example of two different ones!

Hehe.. tis why i like SB so much.. :wink:

TSandM:

w0rd

Mike Veitch:
EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION!!!!

except you

NO OPINION FOR YOU!

:10:

NWGratefulDiver:
(bald, fat, and old diver)

some comedian's definition of getting old:

you know you're getting old when you lose hair where you want it
and get hair where you don't want it

TSandM:

I on the other hand view my buddy as an expendable resource, a mobile spare air if you will. Sure I could just sling an 80 but then you have to carry it to the water and swim around with it and what a hassle that is. My buddy check involves asking them if they 1) know what a CESA is and 2) can they do a CESA? I view myself as a pirate of the deep, silently swimming above and slightly behind my "buddy" ready to pounce at the moment I feel my air supply going. The $60 bucks I saved on a SPG went directly to buying ground beef and cigarettes. The lack of that one hose sort of makes me streamlined so I have that going for me. People get angry and say I have an unsafe attitude and I tell them to quit being so selfish.

Sooo who wants to go diving with me?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom