DIR divers: Deviations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This question is for people who have taken DIRF and/or other GUE courses, but don't always DIR. I'm just curious where you've decided to deviate from DIR practices or would prefer to and why?

As for myself, I consider DIR to be more or less an ideal way to dive (based on what I know), but too restrictive sometimes, so that's when I deviate. i.e. sometimes I use air because on really shallow dives I just don't think it matters, or even on deeper dives I sometimes use it for financial reasons or because standard gases aren't available. Sometimes I dive solo or with "strokes" when DIR buddies aren't available. Sometime I use independent doubles when manifolded doubles aren't available, and so forth. Not that I would recommend or defend any of those practices.

I also prefer 2 loops and a double-ender on the light head rather than one loop at the back and one permanently attached boltsnap on the handle because using the former method I have more possibilities and can attach the light closer to the d-ring (using the same double-ender end on both the loop and d-ring), or I can take it off so it's not dangling there on the light head when it's not needed.

And when I was cave diving in Mexico I used a 7mm wetsuit, which I think was a better choice than my drysuit. Maybe if I had a custom cut trilam I'd feel different, but even then it just don't see the point of using a drysuit instead of wetsuit unless you need it for warmth or backup buoyancy. (When I took DIRF drysuits were recommended over 7mm wetsuits).

I also like my wrist slate because it's faster to access than the wetnotes and doesn't need holding like the notes do, though I realize the left forearm can get a little crowded when using one of those.

Sometimes I dive solo or with "strokes" when DIR buddies aren't available.

:popcorn:

There's nothing DIW with wetsuits. I used a 7/5mm with a 3mm hooded vest in my GUE Cave1 class. And so did the other student. In MX.

Worked great IMO.

I dive air when Nitrox isn't available (eg. in Maui) and I've exceeded an END of 100 there, too.

I have occasionally let buddies get away without full head-to-toe equipment checks and a full, formal dive plan in place, but that's become less and less frequent as I've gotten more confident about being a PITA about it.

Otherwise, I try to stick with what I've been taught. Bob says I'm the most DIR person he dives with :)

*Floater*:
Sometimes I dive with "strokes" when DIR buddies aren't available.
I would never vioalate that rule, but then again, I understand that "Strokes" doesn't mean non-DIR divers.

rjack321:
There's nothing DIW with wetsuits. I used a 7/5mm with a 3mm hooded vest in my GUE Cave1 class. And so did the other student. In MX.

Worked great IMO.

That's interesting given my DIRF instructors thoughts on 7mm wetsuits. Did the instructor recommend a 7mm wetsuit, or was it just something that was acceptable but not recommended?

*Floater*:
This question is for people who have taken DIRF and/or other GUE courses, but don't always DIR. I'm just curious where you've decided to deviate from DIR practices or would prefer to and why?
I like to use my computer ... despite the fact that I occasionally bend the damn thing, at which point I toss it in my gear box and use my BT instead.

I rig my lighthead the same way you do ... and even my current NAUI Tech instructor doesn't like it. I do it that way anyway.

I'll dive with "strokes" ... until or unless I decide that I can't help them overcome their strokery. At that point, I'll just find someone else to dive with ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
I rig my lighthead the same way you do ... and even my current NAUI Tech instructor doesn't like it. I do it that way anyway.

That's funny. Also the same way I rig my light head, but it is the recommended way by "our" NAUI Tec instructor.

*Floater*:
That's interesting given my DIRF instructors thoughts on 7mm wetsuits. Did the instructor recommend a 7mm wetsuit, or was it just something that was acceptable but not recommended?

Chris LM (http://www.dir-mexico.com/bios.htm) didn't recommend anything. I got the 5/7mm based on other people who'd been down there for GUE cave training (how long they were in the water etc.) How much they wear around here, etc. Some had been there for Cave1, some did Cave2 in wetsuits. I used a 3mm hooded vest underneath. No gloves.

Based on what I saw, Zero Gravity loans a fair number of wetsuits to students who show up with something that isn't working. Chris LM was not critical of the use of a wetsuit. Its 77F water afterall.

I only needed 4 lbs in freshwater with AL80 doubles and an AL plate. Was quite dreamy compared to a drysuit and dry gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom