DIR-F Tokyo, Thanks and Kudos...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mar Scuba:
I'm an advocate of a "kindler, gentler" DIR philosophy, but perhaps for some reason the offhand way that KimLeece writes in his posts sets me off and makes me want to set the record straight.
You've completely lost me here! 'offhand way' ?? Just because I don't always agree with everything someone else says doesn't mean I have to get all stressed out. Unless I'm mistaken you have been the one basically saying that I'm wrong, and belittling the training that I've had - and you've never even been in the water with me. Actually I wonder if you really read/understood what I posted earlier as I haven't attacked DIR at all - I simply stated that I'd been taught some things differently - I never said it was better - or that DIR was worse - it was simply different, although several of the skills I had to do are now also part of the DIR-F course from what I understand - so where exactly is your problem?? If you think that you now know everything that there is to know about diving the right way, that's fine by me - but please don't try to ram it down my throat.
I'm sure that DIR-F is a great course - for the third time, congratulations!! For me it's not the be-all and end-all of diving, and when someone tries to tell me that it is, I tend to switch off.

Yeah, I say we just close it now.

I was going to send a PM to KimLeece but thought that I would post in the open and clear for everyone to see.

First of all, my posts are not a direct attack on KimLeece, and if they seem like I am flaming him, it is certainly not my intention. So this is an "apology" if he feels that one is needed.

My point is that most people have not thought about the WHYs of the way we dive, and that's why problems occur. In the DIR-F course we asked and answered a lot of WHYs.

One of the things that set me off were the posts with "a 6 foot hose is a 6 foot hose" and "mute argument". But I suppose I misinterpreted the "mute argument" statement because upon further examination, it was because he always dives with his wife and only one other diver.

Anyway, I welcome KimLeece to come up to Izu to dive with me/us, and of course we will do modified S drills (dry runs on the surface) and go over everything in the briefing before the dive. I think that he would make a good dive buddy and would be a great candidate for a workshop. I'll bring an extra backplate/harness/wing kit and even my spare long hose singles reg set if you need it, KimLeece!

Cheers,

OK - Peace! :peace2:

Why don't we just go to Okinawa? It costs me about the same to get there as it does to Tokyo/Izu.
You wouldn't have to worry about the B/P wings - I already dive a Transpac II with wings (OK - I know it's not completely DIR because of the releases - but it dives the nearly the same as a B/P)

As far as hoses go - PM me what you'd want for a long & a short hose - I might only be able to buy the short one for now, but at least I could make the 6 footer my primary if that'd cheer you up! :wink: And while we are at it - if I did that I'd need to change the face plate of the Apeks from yellow to black - have you got them?

Ahhh, the zen and order has been restored to the group.

Now we can live in DIR tranquility... :karate:

I really don't want to stir the pot but this has to be one of the funniest things I have read I a long time and is why some people get turned off to DIR. I have read tons of posts were right after someone does a DIRF course they start preaching and piss a bunch of people off. I don't care how any one dives unless they are diving with me and if they see how I am diving and want to ask questions I will try to help them or point them in the right direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom