DIR-F Tokyo, Thanks and Kudos...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcpac:
I really don't want to stir the pot but this has to be one of the funniest things I have read I a long time and is why some people get turned off to DIR. I have read tons of posts were right after someone does a DIRF course they start preaching and piss a bunch of people off. I don't care how any one dives unless they are diving with me and if they see how I am diving and want to ask questions I will try to help them or point them in the right direction.

Bingo...

Thanks Steve - I'll be very happy to pay attention!
(I don't use tatoos though!:wink: )

My comments about a 6 foot house were incorrect - I checked my hose this morning and it's just over 7 foot. Where I got the idea that it was only 6 ft I don't know (I did buy it 4 years ago though - maybe it's my age :06: ). I apologise for the incorrect statements.
So now all I need is a short hose and new Apeks faceplate........

Steve, you haven't known me long enough to know that I have been DIR-Lite for over 5 years, way before they started calling it "DIR". Like Richard says, the philosophy has been evolving for a long time. And gimme a break, I dive with rec divers every weekend.

Kim, I'll send you a PM about the short hose. Glad to hear the "correct" 7 foot length. In the IANTD standards, it says either 5 or 7 foot hose.

Regarding the Apeks faceplate, you can get it from any Aqualung dealer.

Cheers,

IANTD standards says 5 to 7, or 5 but that longer is recommended. So 6 is fine in IANTD. The GUE standards for the DIR-F says the same, 5-7 depending on the diver/equipment. GUE specifies it should be on the primary, IANTD does not specify on which of the 2nd stages.

I have a 6-7 foot when diving single tank, and a 7-foot when diving doubles. 5 is too short and in the way when using a Helios light for me.

Thomas

I read in the standards that it is 5 OR 7 foot hose for IANTD.

Do you have a link for where it says "5 to 7 foot"?

TJO:
IANTD standards says 5 to 7, or 5 but that longer is recommended. So 6 is fine in IANTD. The GUE standards for the DIR-F says the same, 5-7 depending on the diver/equipment. GUE specifies it should be on the primary, IANTD does not specify on which of the 2nd stages.

I have a 6-7 foot when diving single tank, and a 7-foot when diving doubles. 5 is too short and in the way when using a Helios light for me.

Thomas
When we finished our IANTD Overhead course we asked the instructor (JC in Tioman, Malaysia) for gear recommendations. I wrote it all down and bought it a few days later in Singapore. The long hose was for the octopus according to him then. There's probably a good chance that that recommendation has changed since 1999. For some reason I thought I remembered that he'd said '6 foot' - however when I measured the hose this morning it's actually just over 7! He must have said that length at the time - it's just my addled brain that remembered it differently. I have seen however that some people - according to their size - do opt for a 6 foot hose - it makes the routing easier for some people.
Funnily enough I was checking Leisure Pro yesterday and saw that they actually supply a 9 foot hose as well!! It must be for buddy pairs who are diving in different oceans! :11:

I don't have a link but you can download the 2003 standards from their website. The file is to heavy to post here.

Thomas

Mar Scuba:
I read in the standards that it is 5 OR 7 foot hose for IANTD.

Do you have a link for where it says "5 to 7 foot"?
http://www.iantd.com/standards/IANTD_Standards_2003.pdf

In the first overhead program (cave and wreck) it says "5 to 7 foot"
(page 40)

In the Cave program it says: "One hose must be at least 5 foot - longer is recommended"
(page 66)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom