"DIR: Fundamentals of Better Diving"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I got real intrigued by DIR a while ago, but got kind of turned off by some of the more vocal discussions on things whether 26" was allowed for spg hose lengths, or whether people with tank boots are going to prison, but I got a copy of JJ's book, and read over the weekend. It had a lot of good stuff in it, but some of the suggestions just seemed random, and some of the suggestions didn't seem to fit with some of the logic behind it. I was hoping for a little more in-depth review of the pros and cons behind choosing the DIR system verses a different system. Does anyone know a better resource for something like this?

For example, I know the stage bottles should be rigged with a ~3" of line between the boltsnap and the bottle to allow you to get your arm between your body and the bottle. The book mentions how to properly rig a bottle, but it doesn't say why.

I realize this is more of the intro book, and can't cover everything in detail, but I am interested, so what book should I read next that gets more into the "why".
Tom

If you want more detail specifically on the gear config, I'd recommend getting "Dress for Success". It's available from the GUE website. It's a very good complement to JJ's book.

-John

I doubt there is a book out there that will scratch your itch. GUE has never been very strong on delivering printed materials (these guys are divers not writers). 5thD's skill videos are very nice but about all you can get from books and videos is gear and individual skills.

If you really want to get a feel for the system try to hook up with some local trained divers in your area and go dive with them. It's a lot easier to experience the important things like a focus on team diving etc. than read about it in a book. To get your contrast I'd suggest diving with divers from another philosophy. Ask lots of questions of both and decide for yourself.

Ignore all this crap on the internet about instant death caused by a hose that is 2" too short/long.

I agree with the recommendation on Dress for Success, when it comes to questions about gear. As to philosophy, that is better covered by speaking to someone involved at the core of DIR/GUE. And those are not necessarily the same thing.

I would also suggest you spend some time reading about the history of the WKPP, warts and all, to get some idea of how the gear evolved.

Start here:

http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Evolution/index.html

Then read this:

http://www.gue.com/Exploration/Cave/q2_3g.htm

There's a lot more stuff, but I believe to REALLY understand the why's of DIR, you have to examine the environment from which it derived, and understand the dangers of placing humans 320ft below the earth, in water, for 10-25 hours. And do it safely, and repeatably.

Realize that some of the gear recommendations won't make much sense (or will seem like one choice of several possible) until your ready for scooter(s), deco, multiple bottles, etc. The system is backwards compatible with a single tank recreational rig, but at that level many of its tenents can be taken peicemeal and still work. They won't be DIR, but will work. Like slightly shorter or longer tails on the deco bottle. Once you have multiple bottles on your side and a bundle of emptys on your hip, having things like the proper length tail become more and more important.

Some places to learn about GUE & DIR (in order of quality, IMHO):

#4 The internet (the worst place, but sometimes good for clarification or discussion, if you don't mind wading through the muck).

#3 Books, Fundamentals of Better Diving & Dress for Success, and DVDs (good stuff, but not everything you want to know, and no one to answer your questions. 5th D-X DVDs are better than the GUE ones).

#2 DIR divers/mentors (excellent source. See DIR in action. Get immediate feedback. Make friends. See the difference between internet DIR divers and the real thing).

#1 GUE Classes (actually the only way to really learn this stuff. On completion class, the above numbers 1 through 3 become slightly better sources of information).

Rick Inman:
Some places to learn about GUE & DIR (in order of quality, IMHO):

#4 The internet (the worst place, but sometimes good for clarification or discussion, if you don't mind wading through the muck).

#3 Books, Fundamentals of Better Diving & Dress for Success, and DVDs (good stuff, but not everything you want to know, and no one to answer your questions. 5th D-X DVDs are better than the GUE ones).

#2 DIR divers/mentors (excellent source. See DIR in action. Get immediate feedback. Make friends. See the difference between internet DIR divers and the real thing).

#1 GUE Classes (actually the only way to really learn this stuff. On completion class, the above numbers 1 through 3 become slightly better sources of information).
# 2 would list as the best in my book, instruction is great, but application of skills is done with your team, when you DIVE, DIVE, DIVE.

mrjimboalaska:
# 2 would list as the best in my book, instruction is great, but application of skills is done with your team, when you DIVE, DIVE, DIVE.
Yeah, you're right. I guess I'd say, number, #2, then #1, then #2 again.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom