"DIR: Fundamentals of Better Diving"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All the FAQs in the world won't make anyone DIR. Take DIRF, get taught by a teacher, learn that its not about the gear. Take Cave1 or Tech1, see where the rubber meets the road. Learn again (if you forgot) that its not about the gear.

You don't have to get to the upper echelons to see how the system fits together.

I got real intrigued by DIR a while ago, but got kind of turned off by some of the more vocal discussions on things whether 26" was allowed for spg hose lengths, or whether people with tank boots are going to prison, but I got a copy of JJ's book, and read over the weekend. It had a lot of good stuff in it, but some of the suggestions just seemed random, and some of the suggestions didn't seem to fit with some of the logic behind it. I was hoping for a little more in-depth review of the pros and cons behind choosing the DIR system verses a different system. Does anyone know a better resource for something like this?

For example, I know the stage bottles should be rigged with a ~3" of line between the boltsnap and the bottle to allow you to get your arm between your body and the bottle. The book mentions how to properly rig a bottle, but it doesn't say why.

I realize this is more of the intro book, and can't cover everything in detail, but I am interested, so what book should I read next that gets more into the "why".
Tom
The books are enhanced when used in conjunction with actual classes. For example, when I GUE Fundamentals, every night I would read a bit on “beginning with the end in mind” and I think it helped. I also had better questions to ask my instructor the next day.

Realize that some of the gear recommendations won't make much sense (or will seem like one choice of several possible) until your ready for scooter(s), deco, multiple bottles, etc. The system is backwards compatible with a single tank recreational rig, but at that level many of its tenents can be taken peicemeal and still work. They won't be DIR, but will work. Like slightly shorter or longer tails on the deco bottle. Once you have multiple bottles on your side and a bundle of emptys on your hip, having things like the proper length tail become more and more important.

If you dive the “right “ configuration the whole time, you increase you proficiency so why change it unless you have to.

@EireDiver606 , You do realize this thread and the posts you've responded to are over 11 years old, right? :wink:

BTW, dont know if the OP is still active online or not. We made some dives together ~9-10 years ago and, IIRC, he was GUE Tech1, possibly Tech2 at the time.

@EireDiver606 , You do realize this thread and the posts you've responded to are over 11 years old, right? :wink:

BTW, dont know if the OP is still active online or not. We made some dives together ~9-10 years ago and, IIRC, he was GUE Tech1, possibly Tech2 at the time.
The OP was an instructor with UTD for awhile.

I noticed after I posted

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom