DIR Fundamentals & Tech 1 trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice review, and great pictures!!

my original comment has been deleted, as I didnt want it being taken the wrong way.

:hiding:

why would the same course with the same instructor be easier somewhere else??

edited by Tavi, 3:40, June 16th

I have no idea what my next course is. I have so much to apply from this one that it will keep me busy for at least a year or two.

Originally posted by Tavi
why would the same course with the same instructor be easier somewhere else??
[/SIZE]
... it is because conditions here are so much more difficult that he is harder on the locals so they will be prepared to handle it.

I think it might also have to do with the fact that travel students cannot go out practice for a few weeks and come back for an evaluation.

We have received what I feel is an incredible amount of Andrew's time for the price.

Makes sense.
It's good to know that there are instructors who tailor the course to the area being dived.

I hope to do DIRF with my son when he gets some more experience.

In the PNW, you don't have any choice but to tailor to the area being dived. I only recently came to the realization that most people in the PNW begin in a wet suit.
I can't imagine putting students in the water in in a wetsuit, especially in the winter.

The conditions are much more intense, so DIRF should be much more intense. When in Alaska, I managed to get a Halcyon dealership, which is why I have so much Halcyon stuff laying around. We attempted to arouse interest in a DIR class, but the people I was diving with didn't want to learn from a PRETTY boy. (Their words, not mine). Deep air is the norm due to the lack of access to Helium. 10 footers are fairly normal and it's not uncommon to surface in 15 footers. PNW is a far stretch from the east coast.
Did I mention 20+ foot tidal changes?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom