DIR GUE and backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vioch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Heard that GUE teaches to use on the right side shorter backup light than on the left - to avoid interference with canister and for easier canister switch access. Is it true?

I think it would be more accurate to say that GUE teaches that if you have any issues with a backup light hitting your can light switch on your right hand side, then a shorter backup would be preferable.

Tom

So - no problem with DIR GUE and 2 standard backup lights?

Never had a problem with it in any GUE course -- and before LEDs backups evolved I don't think that the short backup lights existed (or were not DIR-approved) -- everything was 3-C long backups.

Never had a problem with it in any GUE course -- and before LEDs backups evolved I don't think that the short backup lights existed (or were not DIR-approved) -- everything was 3-C long backups.

Micro-hijack: Can someone point me to a list of recommended or approved backup lights? I am in the market and overwhelmed by the choices. A lot of the gear offered by tech suppliers has non-DIR features.

Micro-hijack: Can someone point me to a list of recommended or approved backup lights? I am in the market and overwhelmed by the choices. A lot of the gear offered by tech suppliers has non-DIR features.

I think the key aspects of an "approved" backup light is that the bulb/emitter should not be overdriven, should have a twist on-off head instead of a switch mechanism, and have a back-center-mounted tie-off point for a bolt snap.

A few of the more popular backups are:

Halcyon Scout
Gulftex Photon Torpedo
Salvo Rat (and whatever Light Monkey equivalent exists now)

I think the key aspects of an "approved" backup light is that the bulb/emitter should not be overdriven, should have a twist on-off head instead of a switch mechanism, and have a back-center-mounted tie-off point for a bolt snap.

A few of the more popular backups are:

Halcyon Scout
Gulftex Photon Torpedo
Salvo Rat (and whatever Light Monkey equivalent exists now)

I had planned to buy the Rat before the whole Salvo thing happened. I am hesitant to buy orphaned gear. I thought of Dive-Rite as well but their back ups don't appear to me to be compliant.

There is a very active current thread on this subject on TDS forum....

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom