DIR GUE and backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am i right you are talking about Intova LED 4.7W 130 Lumen Light or about another model of Intova?
https://www.divegearexpress.com/lights/backuplt.shtml

Yes. The magnetic slide switch is only on the cr123 versions (there are several models: wide, narrow, and 3w and 4.7w versions of each), the push button version is only on the AAA one.

From the page you linked:

The slide switch version has been the most popular and the slide switch is easier to use with heavy gloves, but some people like the idea that the push button version is less likely to 'self actuate'. The slide switch version uses the CR123A lithium photo batteries found at the drugstore with the longer burn time, the push button version uses the ubiquitous AAA alkaline batteries found everywhere. The shorter push button version fits in BC pockets better, the longer slide switch version tucks into the harness webbing bands a bit nicer.

The slide switch version, as they call it, has been around for 2-3 years now, perhaps more, and has been relatively well-vetted. The push button version is very new, and there isn't much reliability info available as to the switch.

I've never owned the slide switch versions, because I don't like cr123 batteries, but I'll tell you that I've had issues accidentally turning on the push button version accidentally as well. On the surface, though, not at depth. I think the bolt snap attachment can accidentally push in the button when the harness is loose, sitting on the shore/boat, and you need to keep an eye out for that. So there are strengths and weaknesses to both.

Again, though, I wouldn't take the push button version on any technical dive due to the shortened burn time and lack of long term information about reliability. I suspect that switch is going to be the weak link in the design... I don't know how well it is going to deal with sand, salt and silt, for one thing. (The single-side attachment point annoys me as well, as I prefer center mounts, but that's less of a problem and more of a preference.)

to CompuDude: Thank you!
I'd contact with dealer and anyway there is no push button version in stock so i have to buy slide switch version. :depressed:
If i have had enough money i'll order Salvo Rat... :wink:

I'm gonna chime in on the tailcap pushbutton switch lights.

I use a pair of Inova tactical lights as my backups in open water, due to the fact that I'm a small framed dude and they don't interfere with my harness but provide plenty of light and will last forever on their three CR123 batteries. The issue is that the membrane switch on the tailcap will self-activate at depth (I've observed it past 60 feet), and then even at shallower depths you can activate the light once but to deactivate you must turn the tailcap, creating a weak point for water to enter the light.

Granted this isn't a problem for a real backup light situation where you would deploy it and keep it deployed for the remainder of the dive, but even during daylight dives I deploy them quickly to look into crevices, cracks, and under things. I would like to not be constantly flashing my buddy if my light comes on.

I got talked to the other night on the boat, where my lights had self-activated and remained that way for the entire 90-foot dive. That little old lady was not happy with me, but I feel comfortable that they "fail" active, not inactive. A small price to pay IMO, for security.

Peace,
Greg

The problem is that you aren't looking at the whole picture, kanonfodr. Yes, it's better to have the light fail on than off; but once it's run out those batteries, it's useless. Do you keep track of how many minutes your backup lights are on on each dive, and change the batteries out whenever you've exceeded half of the expected life? If not, you are running the risk that you will go down on a dive some night, have your primary die, and find your batteries are stuttering.

A good backup light is a safety device, and as such, it should have an extremely low rate of failure of any kind.

Greg,

Thanks for your sharing experience with the tail cap Intova lights. Based on this information, they do not make good back-up lights.

As Lynne wrote, back-ups are a safety item. And they should not fail so readily.

I'm gonna chime in on the tailcap pushbutton switch lights.

I use a pair of Inova tactical lights as my backups in open water, due to the fact that I'm a small framed dude and they don't interfere with my harness but provide plenty of light and will last forever on their three CR123 batteries. The issue is that the membrane switch on the tailcap will self-activate at depth (I've observed it past 60 feet), and then even at shallower depths you can activate the light once but to deactivate you must turn the tailcap, creating a weak point for water to enter the light.

<snip>

Greg

Unless Intova has added some new lights that aren't on their website, I'm not following you here. The Compact light with the tail pushbutton uses 3 AAA, the Nova and Nova Wide (slide switch) use 2 CR123s inline, and the Mini (tail pushbutton) also uses 2 CR123s (don't know how they're arranged). Did you mean 3 AAAs, not 3 CR123s?

Oh, please be sure to tell Intova about your experiences. They seem to be quite responsive to user feedback.

Guy

TSandM:

You make a very good point about the my lights failing at depth. While I don't keep track of how many minutes they run (the light has a run time of 3.5 hours, with 80% available output until 5 hours and they will produce usable light until about 10-12 hours) I keep them on different schedules because I use my right one exclusively. My spare backup on my left side is left in lockout mode, so it can't be activated as readily but is still quick to deploy (a quick turn of the tailcap)

Also, that brings us to a proper pre-dive check where one should insure, among other items, that all lights are functioning properly. If my lights can't have me seeing spots (even in daylight), the batteries get changed.

Don:

I wasn't speaking specifically for the Intova Compact, as my lights are Inova (it's not a misspelling, completely different brand). That was my experience with membrane tailcap switches in general. Though this is making me think about getting an Intova Compact to not only dive it, but take it apart and see how it works.

My personal opinion: While not being DIR, using my Inova lights lets me keep wear and tear off of my Salvo Rat lights, which I don't like for shore diving because I always find plenty of sand gunking up the bezel, which wears on the o-ring and could eventually lead to a flood. My Inova lights on the other hand, use a captured o-ring behind several aluminum threads as well as a sealed lens area that would require me to go deeper than I really care to take those lights to flood. Also, I can deploy my Inovas much quicker (unclip, pull, push switch) than my Rats due to the slimmer, smooth profile of the lights. And since the other night was the first time I had gone past 35 feet in quite a while, I feel that for the majority of my diving I make the correct decision regarding the balance of reliability, run time, light output, durability, and ease of deployment. I've still got the Rats ready to go should I require a light more durable of depth but for 95% of my diving thus far my I haven't found anything more suitable than my tac lights.

Hope I didn't anger anyone.

Peace,
Greg

...I'm not following you here. <snip>

Guy

You don't want to follow me, my leadership tells me I'm not a good example :wink:

Peace,
Greg

I certainly didn't mean to sound harsh!

We all go into the water with primary equipment. You try to get the best primary equipment you can and maintain it properly, so it's likely to work for you, and you check it before you dive, but things do fail (especially lights!) which is why we carry backups.

But the essence of a backup ANYTHING is that it's your ticket home. I can put up with a primary something that has cool features that make it just a wee bit more likely to have issues, but a backup needs to be simple and utterly reliable. I used to carry my Oxycheq light, simply because it was such a fabulous light, but I never felt really good about it, because it's not fair to the team to carry backup equipment that's flaky.

If you're doing daytime dives and just carrying a backup light for communication, it's not a big issue, because if your backup doesn't work you're just back where the majority of the diving world is -- lightless and dependent on hand signals. But if you are carrying a backup light at NIGHT, it has become safety equipment, and has to be judged by that standard. Or at least that makes sense to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom