DIR in the tropics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

U Pug, that's more or less what I meant. Now, obviously, you can't call yourself DIR if you don't adopt ALL the DIR philosophies... but what I meant was, I feel that the level of instruction in the DIRF course should be required in other agencies as well... proficiency in all basic skills should be paramount. GUE and DIR wouldn't be considered so 'strict' if other agencies weren't so relaxed with their methods either. I think DIR is more anal about these things because they are afraid to fall down the same path as the other, larger, agencies...so they over-compensate by being very rigid.

I applaude them for their efforts since diving with any GUE diver gives you a relatively consistent experience. Unlike diving with PADI divers (and NAUI for that matter as well) gives you a very wide range of expereinces... from really good... to really bad. This doesn't give me much confidence in my diving buddy, if I just met him/her on that particular trip. At least with GUE, buddying up with someone new, specially in the more forgiving OW scenario, gives you confidence knowing that you & your buddy are very capable divers...and can respond to emergency situations properly.

There's actually nothing wrong with the PADI curriculum... but there is something wrong with the consistency of diver and instructor quality that PADI has. (I can't speak for NAUI instructors since I never took a NAUI course... but NAUI divers are about the same as PADI divers in my experience... it's a hit and miss... some are excellent...others are just horrible)

I am a new to the sport average diver who wants to be the best diver I can be while ensuring that those around me do the same and hopefully someday soon get out of DC and live in the tropics teaching diving the right way!!!!

No seriously... I am fairly new (almost at 100 dives in 1.5 years with a LOT to learn)
I would say that I am an average diver in that until I can get out of this job I will probably only be diving in warm waters on vacation 2-3 times per year and I am not sure if deep/tech/cave diving interests me.

I wouldn't say I want to be a DIR diver but would say I think that most of what I have read about DIR makes VERY good sense.

I certainly don't consider myself a leader in the sport but I know that many people that post here are leaders and while I may be not be a leader I make sure that when I dive I lead by the best example I can set, say something if I see someone acting like an idiot and make sure that my dive buddy and anyone I dive with also is the best diver they can be as well!!!

Hope this helps you answer the question!! Go easy on me, I am not trying to criticize DIR or any people who subscribe to it, just ask questions to further my understanding of it in general.

I would say in your case not to worry about what the other agencies do or do not teach as there is really nothing you can do about it.

I recommend that you take a GUE DIRf class for the purpose of gaining the basic skillset and mindset and then you will be able use that directly in your warm water tropical diving. While the DIRf is meant for folks moving on into the Technical and Cave courses of GUE it is basic enough that you will find it all useful.

As for being a leader in the sport... the best most of us can ever hope for is being a leader by example.

Hope this helps.

boomx5:
This is not the reason for GUE or DIR. Before making rediculous statements like this, you need to get your facts straight

Boomx- This is the kind of response I was afraid I would get and hoped I wouldn't....

What do consider ridiculous about my statment?

DIR divers are purists?
I hardly see this as an insult or ridiculous. DIR diving is about doing it a certain way all the time no matter what. If that is not pure then I don't know what is.

Purists often react negatively to mass influx of people into their sport?
I would ask you to be reasonable for a minute here. Whether it is an experienced cave diver or someone who has been riding Harley's since the 70's both grit their teeth and get really pissed when some YUPPIE/RUBBIE/POSER shows up with flashy gear and no experience and assumes they can do just as well just because they bought the stuff and have a C-card or a motorcycle liscense. In another thread someone also used the analogy of someone who just got their pilots license on a Cessna 172 walking into a fighter pilots bar and asking what the best plane to get in a dogfight with is?

People who are upset about idiots making their way into the sport get upset and form organizations to exclude them?
Perhaps exclude was a poor choice of words and maybe identify/mark them would be better. Have you ever seen a riders club or motorcycle club? To paraphrase jplacson "if I am diving with someone who is GUE/DIR then they are more of a known quantity while a NAUI/PADI diver is unknown" I am sure the mission statement of GUE is not "dive with us or you don't exist and I won't talk to you" but like many other fraternal/professional organizations (I belong to several, FYI) what usually develops is a outsider/insider perspective.

So again I ask.. what about my comments do you find ridiculous?

First, its GUE, not DIR (DIR is not a who,but I know you know that:wink:) who you consider rigid. But you need to remember that GUE is a non-profit Training and Exploration Organisation, unlike NAUI, PADI, SSI, IANTD, etc.. which are for-profit companies. GUE was created out of a love for the sport and as a way to train divers to do extreme dives and all dives with a high level of safety and skill. Its the dedication to and love for the sport that is important.
I am a diver, it's part of who I am. Some people are into organized sports like football or basketball. Some people just go diving, but I am a diver and I want to be the best diver that I can. Therefore I use what I feel is the best philosophy in the "industry" and that is GUE's DIR.
jplacson:
I think DIR is more anal about these things because they are afraid to fall down the same path as the other, larger, agencies...so they over-compensate by being very rigid.

I applaude them for their efforts since diving with any GUE diver gives you a relatively consistent experience. Unlike diving with PADI divers (and NAUI for that matter as well) gives you a very wide range of expereinces... from really good... to really bad. This doesn't give me much confidence in my diving buddy, if I just met him/her on that particular trip. At least with GUE, buddying up with someone new, specially in the more forgiving OW scenario, gives you confidence knowing that you & your buddy are very capable divers...and can respond to emergency situations properly.

As I said before, some people just might not get it and never will. They may be safer watching football or basketball, but it is their choice. I'll just choose not to dive with them, thats my choice.

your insinuation that GUE and DIR was formed because they were upset about idiots making their way into the sport, and form organizations to exclude them? That accusation is without merit and that is why I told you to do some more research. I did not attack you. I DO NOT dislike you. I have no problems with you asking questions about GUE, DIR or the current storm here in California. If you would like, I would be happy to point you in the right direction so you can get the info you need, but I was in no way attacking you; just clearing up the misinformation.

I would suggest that you all review the rules of engagement for this forum posted in the opening thread.

This isn't the place for agency bashing... PADI or GUE. If you would like to go down that road I can suggest an appropriate forum for you.

The DIR forum on this board is for exchanging information regarding DIR. Legit questions are appropriate... trolling is not.

Civility is also requisite. Please refrain from rude responses as much as lies within you... especially if you are presenting yourself as a spokesperson for DIR. :wink:

If you are GUE trained then it would be helpful to indicate such so others can better weigh the advise and information you give.

Deja Vu, This happens all to much> This Forum is a great Idea. As long as civility is maintained (and I too may have crossed the line on a few thread posts, myself) But this area gives D.I.R. THE CHANCE to present the principles from which they guide themselves. Constantly they tend to be on the defensive, we often put them there and they respond in a similar fashion. If I get into your face you will get into mine. As most of the starting thread posts tend to be from non-DIR divers then lets hear from those who are D.I.R.. If GUE is truely a non-profit organization then they should not have any problem with this. In short D.I.R divers respond to the inquiring minds by presenting your own threads.Start the educating process don't just keep referring people to www.GUE.com. Present your D.I.R. training from your personal perspective. What particular things made the course or training what it was. A mountain can be moved, if not whole then by one pebble at a time.

A rose by any other name will still smell as sweet and still be a rose
William Shakespear

Sorry Uncle Pug!
Just for the record I am not GUE trained but will be doing DIR-F next year. I am a member of SDUE, but I dont dive with those guys as much as I would like to.
You can take my comments or leave them, it makes no difference to me.
Dive Safe!

I keep reading that GUE or DIR is rigid. Now I guess this may be true in the sense that there are standards and you either meet them or you don't. But, speaking from my extremely limited experience, other than that, "rigid" doesn't seem an apt description of GUE's approach. I just took the DIR-f course. I am a purely recreational diver. I have no current intention of entering into tech or cave diving. I was made to feel perfectly comfortable and at ease and was encouraged. The instructor emphasized a number of times that the purpose of this, diving, was to have fun and that the skills were designed to accomplish certain things, that the drills were not meant to be a Japanese tea ceremony, a Kabuki performance or a martial drill. The point was to get things done, cleanly smoothly and efficiently. Frankly, the instructor was relaxed not rigid. He just showed us the bar. We proceeded to beat ourselves up. If anyone was rigid, it was us, the students.

As far applying DIR in tropical diving, I only dive in the tropics (or subtropics). I live in Florida and I am not going anyplace cold. I took the course to improve my skills, safety and enjoyment. Having taken it, I am convinced that GUE has a coherent, cohesive idea of what makes for safe and enjoyable diving. So I can't say that there's any part of DIR that I would conciously disregard. Obviously, I know very little, but of what I know, there's nothing that doesn't make sense for the type of diving I do.

Incidentally, when I took the course, I intended only to go through, learn what I could and apply those parts that were relevant to my diving. Having taken it, I intend to work on my skills and hopefully take rec triox in the spring. Perhaps more telling, I feel strongly enough about what I learned to have cajoled my wife and son into a commitment to take the course in the near future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom