DIR mental math for gas consumption

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the first place never close the manifold when filling unless it’s on purpose.

I would not like that to happen..
you'd be surprised at the number of times this happens at fill stations

you'd be surprised at the number of times this happens at fill stations
Yeah that’s a scary invisible danger unless you do your proper pre dive checks. It’s crazy but true unfortunately. Have you ever had to to lecture someone on that?

All over the world you will find dive dive shops that never have a reason to fill doubles, and thus you will find people doing the filling who have never seen them filled and have no inkling of what needs to be done. I hauled my doubles into a shop in Colorado, and the person who did the filling was very up front about that. "Tell me what to do," he said.

Seriously? Not reliable? Can’t rely on them?

I now have well over 1000 dives and have never, ever, had a gauge or computer fail me. I have always relied on what they are telling me as far as how much air I have left and I have never run out of air.

Maybe my equipment isn’t the norm but mine has been very reliable.

I've had two fail on me in the past year. In both cases, I noticed this pre-dive, but it does happen.

Regardless of failure, I never want to be surprised by what the number on my SPG says. I also don't particularly want to have to look at it every two minutes.

Some simple mental math (I'll use expected 5-min gas consumption by average depth in backmount, and time to breathe 200 psi from one tank in sidemount) helps make life easier and dives more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom