DIR Octo setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5615mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Getting into my BP/Wing setup and wanting to know how long the surgical tubing or what ever you attach to octo to your neck with. How far below your chin should the reg sit? Can anyone provide me with some specs? Thanks

5615mike:
Getting into my BP/Wing setup and wanting to know how long the surgical tubing or what ever you attach to octo to your neck with. How far below your chin should the reg sit? Can anyone provide me with some specs? Thanks

Depends.

Some folks wear it long... I mean long, and when I ask them about it, they say they feel like the second is choking them if they wear it much closer.

Some say is should be tight enough (read: close enough) to sort of chin into your mouth without your hands...

Some use bungee. Some use caveline.

I use surgical tubing. I keep it close. I don't feel like its choking me. I can't even tell its there. I haven't tried the hands-free deployment, but I will this weekend.

Not much help - but my advice is keep it as close as possible.

K

Mo2vation:
Depends.

Some folks wear it long... I mean long, and when I ask them about it, they say they feel like the second is choking them, etc....

Some say is should be tight enough (read: close enough) to sort of chin into your mouth without your hands...

Some use bungee. Some use caveline.

I use surgical tubing. I keep it close. I don't feel like its choking me.. I can't even tell its there. I haven't tried the hands-free deployment, but I will this weekend.

Not much help - but my advice is keep it as close as possible.

K

Choking you would be a little too close!

When I tilt my head down, I can just barely grab the mouthpiece without using my hands. It doesn't bother my throat by being too tight, and doesn't sway in the wind.

I use bungee and two zip ties. One zip tie for the mouthpiece. A separate one for the bungee.

As for length, I like the backup close enough that I can bend my neck and get the reg into my mouth without using my hands.

done. Used bungee cord. Have what I would consider to be Medium length to start with. Will dive it this weekend and see if I feel like I can shorten. Thanks for you help. Ordered my DIR-F book last week. Looking forward to that read.

DIR methods seems to be exacting in regards to gear set up. I have read the new Fundies book but don't recall if they have specifics on this. I will have a look later. As for myself, I use surgical tubing instead of shock (bungee) cord. This is because I mostly dive in the Great lakes and I use thick dry gloves. The surgical tubing seems a little easier to handle. I previously attached the tubing using the same tie which held the mouthpiece onto my reg. However someone pointed out to me that if the reg was grabbed or caught and pulled away forcefully, that it would or could pull off the mouthpiece. My new method is to make a "necklace" where I make an "O" with the tubing and overlap the ends by aprox 3 inches. I then use 2 small ties to connect the tubing. You should now have a small "o" between the two ties where you insert the reg mouthpiece. The distance between the two ties should be just enough to make the tubing good and snug. This way if the reg gets pulled forcefully then the reg will be pulled off of the necklace with the mouthpiece still attached. As for the length.....You should hang it just below where your chin would touch your chest if looking down. With practice, you could retrieve your reg hands free. Having it in this position keeps it from moving around your chest. You always know exactly where it is. This also keeps it out of the way of other gear, ie. clips, wing inflator, drysuit inflator. If it was too long then it could get tangled or caught on something and that is not desireable in the event that you really need access to your secondary reg.
Well, thats my 2 cents!
I'm new to the board and I send greetings to all!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom