DIR Primary Reg Setup question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can understand how your buddy feels. I have a friend with one of those secure mouth piece things and i can't not breath from it with out an automatic gag reflex. Things were better once the back end of it was trimmed shorter so it didn't hit my tonsils.

Keep in mind that you can pull the mouthpiece off a reg and breathe directly from the hard plastic part. This is probably a bad thing to have to do under the stress of an OOG situation. Nevertheless, I'd prefer no mouthpiece to one that makes me gag.

-Klaus

I had a seacure mouthpiece that I was using when, recently I had to donate to my buddy. I could visibly see how uncomfortable it was for him so right after the dive I got rid of it. Im sure if I were on the receiving end I would prefer a non custom mouthpiece hence the removal.

klausbh:
Keep in mind that you can pull the mouthpiece off a reg and breathe directly from the hard plastic part. This is probably a bad thing to have to do under the stress of an OOG situation. Nevertheless, I'd prefer no mouthpiece to one that makes me gag.

-Klaus

Thats damn near impossible with a seacure. Those things are SECURE on the reg (pun intended).

I really dont recommend them at all, and I wouldnt dive with a buddy that has one on his primary. Because I know that that is the reg that is going to be passed to me in an OOA situation, and I am not comfortable with a big honking super MP. No thanks, just a regular old silicone one for me, please.

But, thats just me, you guys can do whatever the hell you want!!!!

get rid of the seacure, and get a comfo-bite. for all the reasons previously stated. in an ooa you can't hand your buddy a mouthpiece that won't fit and may make them swallow salt water, in an already-dicey situation.

But if my buddy objected I would replace them before the dive.

I had one newbie who told me not to worry if he gagged on the surface when he put his reg in his mouth... he said that he was just a gagger and that he would be OK once he submerged.

"Oh great!" I thought.

So I said, "Here, stick this in your mouth" and handed him my reg. He didn't gag on it so I didn't change it.

"If there is doubt ~ you must try it out." Johnny Cochran paraphrased

Shane and I have done quite a bit of gas sharing and even though we both have Secure mouthpieces and radically different bites it hasn't been a problem.

But to answer the question directly... no, Secure mouth pieces are not DIR.

The wings in the inner section of the Seacure mouth pieces rub up agaist the side of the tongue. This is the culprit with the gagging problem. If these wings are trimmed back or simply cut off, the problem should be solved.

I got a nice little inservice from the Seacure rep at DEMA. I learn new stuff every day!!

divemed06:
Just wondering...I'm looking to change to a Hogar. setup but I have one problem. I use one of those molded mouthpieces; which allows me to have a much more comfortable dive. However, it won't fit into the mouth of my buddy! If I swich to the 7 foot hose, there's not much point to it since my buddy won't be able to use my primary second stage anyways. That being said, has anyone encountered this problem? Also, does DIR have any restrictions or recommendation reguarding the use of cameras? Thanks

I'm somewhat disappointed that some of my former students missed this one ;-).. The recommendation against custon mouthpieces has less to do with air shares then it does respecting the rescue of a toxing diver. While a diver is toxing the procedure is to put the mouthpiece up against the victims mouth while slowly purging. This prevents, to the extent possible, the diver from swallowing water. Once the diver stops toxing it's likely he'll take a deep breath immediately after the seizure stops so you'll want his first breath to be your mouthpiece spread agaianst his mouth. The custom fit pieces tend to be longer in length, and much more difficult to spread up against the mouth during the rescue which could then allow for water entering during the seizure, and more likely in the immediate aftermath of the seizure.. Feel free to try it next time you are in the pool and you'll see what I mean.

Hope that helps..

Later

I haven't seen anyone address the camera question yet (except for Mo2vation's whimsical comment about the black housing).

I remember some discussion last year on GUE's Quest list about cameras, but as I recall it seemed to consist of individual divers talking about how they managed things, and I don't remember there being any hard-coded guidance on the DIR way of handling photo equipment.

I know some divers who are DIR (or try to be DIR) who clip a camera to a chest D-ring in some situations, and/or use a lanyard around one wrist, although I imagine that either one could be viewed as a safety hazard in some situations. If the going really got tough, I think you have to be prepared to drop the rig (it may be expensive, but not as valuable as a human life).

Maybe the GUE instructors have more input here?

Frank O:
I haven't seen anyone address the camera question yet (except for Mo2vation's whimsical comment about the black housing).

I remember some discussion last year on GUE's Quest list about cameras, but as I recall it seemed to consist of individual divers talking about how they managed things, and I don't remember there being any hard-coded guidance on the DIR way of handling photo equipment.

I know some divers who are DIR (or try to be DIR) who clip a camera to a chest D-ring in some situations, and/or use a lanyard around one wrist, although I imagine that either one could be viewed as a safety hazard in some situations. If the going really got tough, I think you have to be prepared to drop the rig (it may be expensive, but not as valuable as a human life).

Maybe the GUE instructors have more input here?

You wouldn't want to use the lanyard around the wrist. The reality is that if you bring a camera, which many of us do on a regular basis, we use a line with a clip and when we aren't using the camera we clip it off from a D-ring. I usually use the chest D-ring, but when I'm on deco I'll often attach it to the scooter d-ring and let it hang below. The idea is that your mates life isn't worth the cost of a camera so if need be I'd ditch the camera and help my mate..

Later

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom