DIR & reef hooks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaTec:
using a reef hook in a strong current over a very deep wall, a great way to sit there and watch the life go by.

you can tell by the bubbles how strong the current is

That was me during Thanksgiving week in Palau!!! I had a blast (with my reef hook). Sharks swimming in front of me and Barracuda behind me in the shallows...pump up the BC and have fun. Unless your hook slips off the rock, then your dumping air like crazy:)

If your careful and mindful of the environment there is nothing wrong with using a reef hook...IMHO-FWIW :p~

narcT:
That was me during Thanksgiving week in Palau!!! I had a blast (with my reef hook). Sharks swimming in front of me and Barracuda behind me in the shallows...pump up the BC and have fun. Unless your hook slips off the rock, then your dumping air like crazy:)

If your careful and mindful of the environment there is nothing wrong with using a reef hook...IMHO-FWIW :p~
Tell that to the family of the woman that died.. If you need something this convoluted to make the dive, the dive isn't worth making, IMO. I still fail to see why these can't be done as drift dives other than 1) the divers making them lack the skills to do a drift dive or 2) you see more cool stuff by hooking in. Neither argument has any merit in my opinion.

My personal stance is this: What's so important about a divers fleeting amusement that outweighs protecting the reef?? Is any one of us THAT important?? The only way the reefs will continue to live in a heatlhly state is if we do not disrupt them in any manner - this means NOT TOUCHING ANYTHING! No gloves, no hooks, no moving things around to get a pleasing photo. (oh yeah, I saw a woman cutting and arranging soft corals and sea fans to win a live-aboard photo contest with no prizes)

diveski01:
My personal stance is this: What's so important about a divers fleeting amusement that outweighs protecting the reef?? Is any one of us THAT important?? The only way the reefs will continue to live in a heatlhly state is if we do not disrupt them in any manner - this means NOT TOUCHING ANYTHING! No gloves, no hooks, no moving things around to get a pleasing photo. (oh yeah, I saw a woman cutting and arranging soft corals and sea fans to win a live-aboard photo contest with no prizes)
Becki,
I could not agree more. The whole things smacks of selfishness and disregard for the underwater world.

O-ring:
Tell that to the family of the woman that died.. If you need something this convoluted to make the dive, the dive isn't worth making, IMO. I still fail to see why these can't be done as drift dives other than 1) the divers making them lack the skills to do a drift dive or 2) you see more cool stuff by hooking in. Neither argument has any merit in my opinion.

You know I can't comment on what happened to that women in Palau. But I will say her death had nothing to do with the use of a reef hook.

What skill are you talking about for a drift dive? I mean you like, float with the current right? Or is there a special way to drift with the current? Do you float upside down sharing your air with the fish or what?

We put our hooks into rock, nothing living (unless you have a pet rock, which would not supprise me).

narcT:
You know I can't comment on what happened to that women in Palau. But I will say her death had nothing to do with the use of a reef hook.

What skill are you talking about for a drift dive? I mean you like, float with the current right? Or is there a special way to drift with the current? Do you float upside down sharing your air with the fish or what?

We put our hooks into rock, nothing living (unless you have a pet rock, which would not supprise me).

Bullsh*t. It had everything to do with that reef hook. It was my friend that worked on her to try to keep her alive.

Read the damn post. She hooked in and attached to her BC in a ripping current. What did that do? It made her an immediate sail, pulling the line taught. Tie yourself to a tree with a clip and then lean away from the line. Try to unhook. You won't be able to do it-there's too much pressure. It also ripped of her mask.

Let's see what we have here.

1. No buddy system. Can't do that reef hooking. If you're in trouble, you're screwed.
2. Immediate overhead environment. You can't ascend. Are you trained for that?

This death had everything to do with a reef hook. You've got your head buried in dead coral.

detroit diver:
Bullsh*t. It had everything to do with that reef hook. It was my friend that worked on her to try to keep her alive.

Read the damn post. She hooked in and attached to her BC in a ripping current. What did that do? It made her an immediate sail, pulling the line taught. Tie yourself to a tree with a clip and then lean away from the line. Try to unhook. You won't be able to do it-there's too much pressure. It also ripped of her mask.

Let's see what we have here.

1. No buddy system. Can't do that reef hooking. If you're in trouble, you're screwed.
2. Immediate overhead environment. You can't ascend. Are you trained for that?

This death had everything to do with a reef hook. You've got your head buried in dead coral.

Although you are goating me, I will not respond to the incident.

This is not a response to the incident, but a to your post:
1. I never depend on a buddy when diving.
2. There is no overhead environment at blue corner. If I lose my mask, I continue to breath and cut the line (which I can do with my eyes closed).

Like any piece of equipment, if properly used is not a danger to the "trained" diver.

I will continue to carry and use a hook where appropriate....

narcT:

No need to respond, looks like someone already called you on your load of BS.

Have a real nice day and enjoy your solo diving and coral killing.

narcT:
Although you are goating me, I will not respond to the incident.

This is not a response to the incident, but a to your post:
1. I never depend on a buddy when diving.
2. There is no overhead environment at blue corner. If I lose my mask, I continue to breath and cut the line (which I can do with my eyes closed).

Like any piece of equipment, if properly used is not a danger to the "trained" diver.

I will continue to carry and use a hook where appropriate....

You've already responded to the incident, and I quote:

"You know I can't comment on what happened to that women in Palau. But I will say her death had nothing to do with the use of a reef hook."

And when a 3-4 kt current is running up your nose, I don't care how trained you supposedly are to cut a line.

Bottom line here is that this is an unsafe, stupid, and environmentally unsound practice. Lots of people do stupid things. That doesn't mean that they are right.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom