• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

DIR- Generic DIR Standard Gases Logistics

Discussion in 'DIR' started by CAPTAIN SINBAD, Nov 19, 2018.

1. rjack321

rjack321 Captain

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Peter Steinhoff in Sweden made this many many years ago so that you don't even need a calculator. This was literally pre- smartphone era so I'm surprised to find it still on-line. I had one up on my wall back then (2007 ish) but it got torn down when I moved 9 years ago and I never replaced it. A handheld calculator or phone is better.
    http://dir-diver.com/pdf/fill_chart2c.pdf

victorzamora likes this.
  2. victorzamora

victorzamora Solo Diver

I agree that it'd be cool. I think the Steinhoff chart might do just that.

My point earlier was that if you have a specific idea of what you need, creating it wouldn't be hard....it's just a matter of defining needs/wants specifically and then doing some simple math once all the brain cells are firing. You do it once nd you've got a permanent reference.

3. tbone1004

tbone1004 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    while nifty, I agree that the calculator on my phone with a piece of scratch paper is just as convenient and something like the blend apps is better

4. EireDiver606

EireDiver606 DIR Practitioner

I’ll definitely be trying that out in my dive club (non GUE and ancient ways of diving) None of them will be my friends... :(

I’m leaving this club this year :)

5. Blasto

Blasto Solo Diver

I find it ironic how doing it wrong ended up being sold under the banner of "doing it right". However, it's only a small zealot faction of a spinoff of DIR that holds to that old testament rule, akin to that minority that takes the stairs on Saturdays* so as not to "work" pushing an elevator button.

As of the 21st century, if you're not using a PDC while diving, you're objectively doing it wrong. If your PDC doesn't overrule your mental calculations, you're objectively doing it wrong.
    That said, if you don't have a very specific dive plan in mind that doesn't rely on waiting for the computer to tell you what to do - then you're not doing it right either.

The good part about DIR theory is the use of standardized equipment setup, and the good part about DIR practice is overwhelming dominance of highly skilled divers among GUE instructors. A bit like the agency that won't be named: not the best curriculum, but the most people, and as an unintended consequence the most good people. Better, unlike them, GUE is mostly filled with skilled divers.

*I do, but regardless of the day, and for muscle tone reasons.