DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb:
They can set aside their desire for knowledge and skill improvement with an attitude of "I don't want to learn anything from them" which borders on arrogance.

Machiavelli was a dirty rotten piece of work, but the smart would-be statesman still can learn a lot from him.

Nomaster:
I think even the nastiest contributor to this thread probably isn't against improving his/her knowledge and skills.

You're right, I'm always looking to learn.:)

NWGratefulDiver:
Perhaps it wasn't the answer that mattered ... but the manner in which it was achieved.

I listened to what he had to say.

Rather than consider them "accusations", I took them as concerns.

I tried to see things from his perspective, then explained ... in a respectful way ... how I saw the situation.

As a result, we came to an agreement.

Thank you. A little vague, but helpful

Novadiver, if you don't mind, PM me with your perspective on the exchange. I'm interested in whether it still coincides with Bob's,
when no one is watching. Nothing personal Bob, just a healthy
dose of skepticism when it comes to authority.

NWGratefulDiver:
I wasn't trying to threaten you ... I was trying to explain something to you.

Bob, I wasn't the first or only person to see it the way I did.
I can admit that I pushed your buttons if you can admit
that your response had a classic passive aggressive implied threat
in it. I understand what you were trying to explain better than you know. Whether I agree with is apparently isn't appropriate to discuss right now.

NWGratefulDiver:
Would just like to point out you've attributed the quote ... and responded to ... the wrong person. FWIW - overexposed2x was in my DIR-F class.

Thank you. Yes, it should have been RonFrank I was responding to.
Got to remember to refresh the clipboard before pasting the quote delimiters.

dweeb:
Bob, I wasn't the first or only person to see it the way I did.
I can admit that I pushed your buttons if you can admit
that your response had a classic passive aggressive implied threat
in it. I understand what you were trying to explain better than you know. Whether I agree with is apparently isn't appropriate to discuss right now.

Fair enough ... now what say we both try to work on our delivery ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Perhaps it wasn't the answer that mattered ... but the manner in which it was achieved.

I listened to what he had to say.

Rather than consider them "accusations", I took them as concerns.

I tried to see things from his perspective, then explained ... in a respectful way ... how I saw the situation.

As a result, we came to an agreement.

We did it in a way that didn't invalidate, or belittle, each other's viewpoints.

It's something you keep referring to as "PC" ... I prefer to think of it as common courtesy.

Believe it or not, it's an effective way to deal with people.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's the facts, and the facts won't change. Thanks again BOB. I liked the part about COMMON COURTESY, more people should try it. IT WORKS

Dan Gibson:
If you had been there to see it and hear their conversation, you probably wouldn't ask these questions. It was readily apparent that this team was not a team on this dive.

They were the same size tanks. What if the guy with the greater volume had a crappy consumption rate and the guy with the smaller volume was good. Take that failure at max penetration and you will see that they would likely have a problem. Since the guy with 3300 psi said his turn pressure was 2200 psi (i.e. 1100 usable in his mind) he could have used to much. If he said his turn pressure was 33-8 or 25, then the team would probably be ok. The fact he said 2200 meant that is what was in his head and probably what would have been written down in wetnotes as the CAS if he used them. Why complicate things by computing a wrong turn pressure?

Even if they had not been similar tanks, the time they took to determine each ones turn pressure could not have taken place that quick. This took all of 5 or 6 seconds to unclip, read the spg and state the turn pressure. Sorry, but I'm not buying anyone is that quick with unclipping reading and calculating the numbers that are so different to begin with. It was obvious each stated their turn pressures independant of the other.

You were there and have made the judgement, I'll respect that because of your experience. Did these divers do a S-drill or were they that poor to further degrade your judgement of them?

Rubis:
I agree and I have not seen multitask management in rec training except for GUE. Now I cannot speak outside my own experience.
My OW course included some simple task loading at the last pool session before hitting open water. NAUI/TDI instructor, teaching under NAUI's banner. He's also a tech-trained diver himself when he's not teaching.

As a new diver I think that I can give a personal opinion concerning the original post. The feeling I get from this board is that DIR - "Doing it right", at first glance, feels very elitist and this still bothers me after all the posts I have read like this one. This would not stop me from taking the DIR-F course but does not endear me to the (percieved) underlying philosophy. Not very logical when I think about it, but still my feelings on the subject.

Ian

PS. Not sure what's more astonishing, my actually reading this all or the fact that this thread is so long :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom