Directory of SCUBA Instructors for Disabled Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fsudiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello, is there a directory out there somewhere of SCUBA instructors certified to teach disabled people how to dive? I am trying to find one in the Tallahassee, Florida area for a friend who has other disabled friends who are also looking. Please let me know if anyone knows how to find this information! Thanks. :)

PADI has, and I suspect most agencies have, a policy for reasonable accommodations for student divers with disabilities, and the students can often earn a “regular” certification.

If the individuals’ challenges are more severe, I would suggest either
the Handicapped Scuba Association: http://www.hsascuba.com/ or
the International Association for Handicapped Divers: http://www.iahd.org/en/index.htm
Right now HSA’s web site seems to be down. I hope it’s only temporary.

If that doesn’t help, ask at your local dive shop. They’ve probably been asked before.

SCUBA instructors don't need a special cert to teach disabled divers. As knotical stated, PADI, and most agencies, have policies for this. Best bet is to call around to the LDSs or go in and personally interview some instructors.

Thanks, knotical. Even if it doesn't require a special certification, I think it would be best to find someone with experience in teaching divers with disabilities. I noticed the website was down, too, but I'm hoping it's back up soon.

I'm certified thru HSAI. I'm based out of Cocoa Beach...HSAI lists of instructor is way out dated...Maybe we can work something with water work in the Keys

Joe
321-537-9751

PM Sent...thanks

cudachaser:
I'm certified thru HSAI. I'm based out of Cocoa Beach...HSAI lists of instructor is way out dated...Maybe we can work something with water work in the Keys

Joe
321-537-9751

Hi fsudiver,
I am a PADI IDCS Inst. and a HSA, and IAHD Inst. I have been working with divers with disabilities for over nine years, and you are right you need to find an Inst. who has special training with people with disabilities. There are a lot of Inst. who think they can certify anyone. But it does take a special skill to be patient enough to give the time it takes to certify someone with special needs. Only a IAHD or HSA Inst. can certify someone who cannot pass all the requirements needed to pass a PADI, or NAUI or any other certifying agency course. If I can be of any futher help let me know. The US Headquarters for IAHD is in Key Largo, FL at Capt. Slates Atlantis Dive Center http://www.captainslate.com

Thanks, everyone. I've been diving with Captain Slate before, next time will be next month, but for my disabled friend, and his friends, the journey of 500 miles is not necessarily easy. I would really love to find someone local, or someone who travels to teach. I completely agree that it takes a special instructor with an understanding of the special needs of disabled people in order to best teach them proper diving and safety skills.

Rescuediver17063:
Hi fsudiver,
I am a PADI IDCS Inst. and a HSA, and IAHD Inst. I have been working with divers with disabilities for over nine years, and you are right you need to find an Inst. who has special training with people with disabilities. There are a lot of Inst. who think they can certify anyone. But it does take a special skill to be patient enough to give the time it takes to certify someone with special needs. Only a IAHD or HSA Inst. can certify someone who cannot pass all the requirements needed to pass a PADI, or NAUI or any other certifying agency course. If I can be of any futher help let me know. The US Headquarters for IAHD is in Key Largo, FL at Capt. Slates Atlantis Dive Center http://www.captainslate.com

Back
Top Bottom