Dirt bikes and diving? Is it possible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Casteel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I only have two hobbies that we are passionate about, dirt bikes (trail riding our KTM's) and diving. As it sits currently we spend a lot of time in the mountains riding dirt bikes and then spend 1-2 weeks a year somewhere diving. I currently live in Colorado, but there is not a lot of diving here. I've looked at places like Florida, but I don't think there is a hill / trail in the state.

My job allows me to live pretty much anywhere in/around North America. So, the question of the day is, does anyone know where a person could both dive and ride?

How far away from each and what are your diving requirements? There are spots in AZ and CA that might work. Also along the Gulf Coast if forest trails are OK for your riding.

I've looked at places like Florida, but I don't think there is a hill / trail in the state.
I'm not into dirt bikes, but have done 4 wheel atv's once or twice. There's a lot of dirt bike trails. Here's some examples:
https://offroadingpro.com/dirt-bike-trails-in-florida/

The place I went to is called "croom" Here's a video (not mine)
I don't think there's any diving super close to that place. You could drive 90 minutes north for spring diving or 90 minutes southwest for a gulf dive.

How far away from each and what are your diving requirements? There are spots in AZ and CA that might work. Also along the Gulf Coast if forest trails are OK for your riding.
That's a great question. I would imagine a couple of hours either way I am OK. I currently have to drive a minimum of 2 hours to ride motorcycles unless I am going to a track. Forest trails are preferred, hopefully with some variety. We are spoiled out west. My county has more public property than the entire state of Texas.

I'm going to start by saying that I do NOT recommend moving to Chicago. I'm jettisoning just as soon as the kids are through high school. That said, I have easy access to the U.P. (Michigan's Upper Peninsula where there's incredible and endless offroading opportunities) as well as Lake Michigan for diving, not to mention a respectable handful of local lakes and quarries. Forgive me for stating the obvious but I'd like to be clear; it is cold water diving.

I'd start here: RiderPlanet USA - Find Trails & Tracks . There's a map view for each state.

Lots of options. Pensacola area. Hollister Hills near Monterey. Many options in SoCal. North Carolina...

It's probably going to be a lot less expensive to live near the off road areas and drive a bit for diving than vice versa :)

Have you considered Washington state?

Arizona would have you flipped. Your trail riding is minutes away and your diving is 2 hours away for freshwater lakes and your ocean diving is in San Carlos MX about 6 hours away...

Edit: Just realized if you were in Phoenix, you would have close options for both...

Back
Top Bottom