Disabilities and Political Correctness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i have to strongly disagree ith you brssmky when you say mention handicapped people and others think of someone on a corner asking for money..that statement is a slap in the face of all who suffer from YES i ill say it handicapps..lets see now ..i have always believed that the word handicapp means something that a person has or may have that hinders something that they can do in there lives that other wise would be very normal.in terms of doing everyday things..my uncle has als..does he have a disability or a handicap..yes he does...he has lost motor function and needs supervision 24 hours a day..does this mean that by having this that it changes WHO he IS??no it doesnt..it only changes the physical aspect of him that controls his muscles..but also at the same time he is handicapped and is disabled no matter how you cut it...i think we as a society have come far enough that we dont use those words diabled or handicapped in a rude way..sure some still do and that wont change but i think for the most part most are saying it out of truth and not rudeness...would you expect me to walk up to a blind man and pretend that he isnt blind?no you wouldnt.its time for people to realise that some people do have disabilities and handicaps and that they do not wish to be babied because of them..but at the same time we cannot ignore that there are some things that they cant do either...thats just the way things are ..when i see someone in a wheelchair.yes i see the wheelchair but i also see a person as well..diabilities dont define who we are but sometimes define what we can do..

Ya know this should really be pretty simple. Some disabled people find the word handicapped offensive. If I respect a person I will not call that person a word they find offensive. That is not "political correctness" that is common courtesy which is something one's parents should have taught them from the start.

snuggle:
i have to strongly disagree ith you brssmky when you say mention handicapped people and others think of someone on a corner asking for money..that statement is a slap in the face of all who suffer from YES i ill say it handicapps..lets see now ..i have always believed that the word handicapp means something that a person has or may have that hinders something that they can do in there lives that other wise would be very normal.in terms of doing everyday things..my uncle has als..does he have a disability or a handicap..yes he does...he has lost motor function and needs supervision 24 hours a day..does this mean that by having this that it changes WHO he IS??no it doesnt..it only changes the physical aspect of him that controls his muscles..but also at the same time he is handicapped and is disabled no matter how you cut it...i think we as a society have come far enough that we dont use those words diabled or handicapped in a rude way..sure some still do and that wont change but i think for the most part most are saying it out of truth and not rudeness...would you expect me to walk up to a blind man and pretend that he isnt blind?no you wouldnt.its time for people to realise that some people do have disabilities and handicaps and that they do not wish to be babied because of them..but at the same time we cannot ignore that there are some things that they cant do either...thats just the way things are ..when i see someone in a wheelchair.yes i see the wheelchair but i also see a person as well..diabilities dont define who we are but sometimes define what we can do..
Uhm do you understand what etymology is? It is the study of the origin and meaning of words. Brssmnky was pointing out that the word "handicap" has its start in the days when people with disabilities could not work and were forced to beg for food, clothing, alms etc. in order to survive. They would stand with "cap in hand" to recieve donations. He is not saying that is how disabled persons are today.

snuggle:

Re: the above post: Did you read my other posts in this thread? Seriously.

Et. al. When I ask my self if I should have ever posted this thread originally… well I probably would do it again, but word some things differently. For one I wouldn’t have used political correctness in the title, I’d have just called the thread Disability etiquette. The forum was new, I was a fan to see it, but the first couple posts that I saw were non-disabled people who, with good intentions in mind, were talking about handicapped students and divers who suffer from, etc. Well, I thought I’d go ahead and post something that, in this brand new forum, may be helpful to the non-disabled people who wanted to use proper terminology because some words are offensive to some people. What followed was, what I consider, a windfall of “I hate being politically correct/ I just don’t want to bother with keeping up with what’s politically correct” and “you can’t tell me what to call myself” scolds and beratings. How dare I?

First, to everyone that fits under the “I hate being politically correct/ I just don’t want to bother with keeping up with what’s politically correct” umbrella: That’s funny. Not because I think you’re being mean, or ignorant or hateful (I don’t think you are)… but because I think you’re being hypocritical. I guarantee that you don’t tell your Black neighbor that you “N***er rigged” something in your garage or tell your Jewish colleague that your wife went to the mall and spent money “like a drunk Jew.” I don’t know, maybe you do… but I doubt it (and I apologize to anyone offended by my bluntness in using phrases that I, myself find offensive. I’m trying to get a point across). So where exactly do you draw that line of “I hate being politically correct?” You’re gonna be mindful to various ethnic groups, but screw the gimps?

And to everyone under the “you can’t tell me what to call myself” / “words don’t matter” umbrella: I think I’ve said this in every one of my posts in this thread, I don’t care what you call yourself; gimp cripple, handicapped, wheelchair bound, afflicted, suffer from, whatever. Also, I’m not telling you what to call yourself. I have a pretty good sense of humor (just read some of my other posts) and I joke with my disabled friends and my friends (both disabled and non) joke with me and I joke about my own disability. However, if you really believe that words & terminology don’t influence perception, opinions, attitudes & world views… I’m sorry, you’re just wrong. That’s like saying that the wind has no influence on the weather… it’s not the only influence, but it has a noticeable part. Do you think that someone who was raised in a household that uses racist and bigoted language will have the same attitude towards certain groups of people as someone who was raised in a household that doesn’t? Maybe, but its less likely.
Handicapped doesn’t have a negative connotation? A word that is derived from “cap in hand” doesn’t give any impressions to anyone about someone asking for money? That’s a hard sell to convince me of that.
The difference in choice of words can be huge. When people call my office to ask about ramps on their business, if they say “for the handicapped” it’s usually because they’re worried about being sued or are already being sued; if they say “for wheelchair users” or “for accessibility” or “for my customers with disabilities,” it’s usually because they care about including all their potential customers and want to make their business accessible for all. That’s the difference between mere words and the perceptions that are formed from them.
Look, I work at an independent living center, for those that don’t know what that is, it’s a resource center for people with all different types of disabilities… you probably have one in your own city. We advocate for disability rights, services, equal access, etc. We also advocate for the use of words of dignity. That is all I was trying to do here. If anyone cares, this is a nice little educational pamphlet, partly on what I’m talking about:

http://www.usu.edu/mprrc/infoserv/pubs/peoplefirstbook03.pdf

Thank you all for your attention and understanding.

I see everybody is having fun. And that I have not missed a thing.

Are you all saying "Handicapped" is a bad word ? I have to ask. If so thats like saying all black TV is not racist and is not creating a bigger problem. By putting so much nonsense into something creates the problem. I have loads of friends that are disabled for one reason or another and they have only one issue why do you have to classify anybody past the parking stall ? They tire of all of you trying to figure out what to say. How bout " Hey DUDE" thats a good start.
The people who fear words are they themselves the problem because all they ever think about is how different everybody is instead of just thinking about the PERSON.
Cheers

for once i have tp agree with you wolf eel..well put...not to mention some people have too much time on their hands..and i dont mean you..

OK, I’m done ever being serious ever again on Scubaboard. From now on I’ll keep to my joke filled stupid un-helpful comments. Maybe I’m the unreasonable one here. Maybe I’m too sensitive. Please disregard every other one of my posts in this thread and read this one…

This is the ONLY, ONLY, ONLY, ONLY, ONLY, ONLY thing I was trying to say:

The antiquated word “handicapped” is becoming increasingly less acceptable to use. Some people with disabilities, a growing number of us (myself included), find it to be an offensive word.

That was my only point. If no other person with a disability in this forum feels the same way… then fine, I’m going diving, talk amongst your selves.

[brssmnky OK, I’m done ever being serious ever again on Scubaboard. This is the ONLY, ONLY, ONLY, ONLY, ONLY, ONLY thing I was trying to say.

The antiquated word “handicapped” is becoming increasingly less acceptable to use. Some people with disabilities, a growing number of us myself included find it to be an offensive word.]
Hey
I never ment any harm. Some people that are disabled do take offence by certain words. Its kinda like being called a cop it comes with all kinds of thoughts but most are wrong. Constable on patrol. Its a good thing. The word handi cap as discribed is "cap in hand". You may be offened but so are those who have no idea what to say for fear they may upset somebody. Maybe the next time you hear that realize that it was said not to harm but because they had no idea it would offend you. The "Cap in hand " people are the reasons others started to take a stand. I doubt anybody would say something to be a direct attack to others. And anybody who would is a piece of **** and all others around know that.

I read your article. It does make sense and has great things for others to learn. I was taught by my parents that all people are equal ALL and that if i refered to anybody in a fashion that was not positive I was put in my place. My parents where different. We had to have cotton balls taped over our eyes for a day to see how it may feel to be blind and we had the same done to our ears. And legs and so on. I had a friend who was african. My father took a dieabietes tester and nicked the two of us and made us see how much we are the same on the inside. I have no negative thoughts abouts anybody untill they prove to be a moron and then I could cares less who you are.

The point: just because I may say something does not mean I am saying it to hurt. But your own re-action is going to determine how I feel when you are out of sight. And if every time somebody says handicapped and they a lashed then resentment is the only return.
For every action has a re-action. And for every proper re-action comes proper actions in the future.

wolf eel:
Hey
I never ment any harm. Some people that are disabled do take offence by certain words. Its kinda like being called a cop it comes with all kinds of thoughts but most are wrong. Constable on patrol. Its a good thing. The word handi cap as discribed is "cap in hand". You may be offened but so are those who have no idea what to say for fear they may upset somebody. Maybe the next time you hear that realize that it was said not to harm but because they had no idea it would offend you. The "Cap in hand " people are the reasons others started to take a stand. I doubt anybody would say something to be a direct attack to others. And anybody who would is a piece of **** and all others around know that.

I read your article. It does make sense and has great things for others to learn. I was taught by my parents that all people are equal ALL and that if i refered to anybody in a fashion that was not positive I was put in my place. My parents where different. We had to have cotton balls taped over our eyes for a day to see how it may feel to be blind and we had the same done to our ears. And legs and so on. I had a friend who was african. My father took a dieabietes tester and nicked the two of us and made us see how much we are the same on the inside. I have no negative thoughts abouts anybody untill they prove to be a moron and then I could cares less who you are.

The point: just because I may say something does not mean I am saying it to hurt. But your own re-action is going to determine how I feel when you are out of sight. And if every time somebody says handicapped and they a lashed then resentment is the only return.
For every action has a re-action. And for every proper re-action comes proper actions in the future.

I mean that’s cool… I know you meant no harm by it and when people say it it's not because they're trying to be mean or impolite, it's because nobody ever said "hey man, some people don't like that word." In person, when someone uses that word or other not-so-acceptable terminology, I’m just like, “Hey man, that’s not really the best word to use… this one’s a little more acceptable…” just in a calm friendly tone. That’s really all I was intending originally by this thread was to inform and educate those who didn’t know. That’s the bad thing about cyber space, you don’t get the tone behind what’s written, as I read some of my other posts, some may have come across angry and weren’t written with that feeling behind them at all. I was just trying to inform people who may not be the most informed, and otherwise had good intentions.

My last post was mostly in the tone of desperation because many of the replies to my posts seemed like they didn’t really get what I was trying to say. All I was trying to say was, “hey man, some people don’t like some terms, including ‘handicapped,’ you didn’t know, that’s cool, now you do, ok, lets move on” And several people replied basically, I think, telling me that I’m a jerk for either a) trying to push political correctness down their throat b) telling them what to call them selves or c) I shouldn’t label people because they’re people, not things. None of which I was doing (with the exception of “a” a little bit :eyebrow: ). So anyway, I say we all shoot this thread in the jugular and move on to more productive things that this forum can help with. Happy diving everyone.

and some people arent affended at all either..you took this way to far .the only one who got you upset was you...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom