disability and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

preacher

Registered
Reaction score
I am disabled and interested in learning to dive as an additional hobby as I refuse to be a shut in on drugs. My wife and brother are very supportive and have said they will do it with me if I decide to jump in so to speak. I guess a brief description of my disability is in order for ya'll to properly answer my questions. I fell 70' during a training exercise. crushed my left ankle, broke both bones in my lower leg herniated 4 disk and broke my back in two places. I am not paralyzed but do suffer from severe pain 1-2 days a week for which I HAVE to take pain killers (pk's) and muscle relaxers (mr's), moderate pain 2-3 days a week for which I take pk's and mr's for when they start to reach severe because I hate taking the pk's and mr's and light pain 1-2 days which I just deal with. Its been 17 years now since "the fall" and I have learned how to get thru the day and manage to work as well. Obviously on a severe day I couldn't dive because of the medication. This in mind, my questions are:

1. are there any other disabled divers here to give me some guidance and advice on whether I should or shouldn't dive or maybe just restrict myself to snorkeling

2. obviously ankle stress from fins would be a problem, are there other style fins available.

3. Would scooters allow me the freedom to dive and compensate much like wheelchairs do for my paralyzed bretheren.

4. are there dive organizations and places for people like me to learn and participate in diving.

Thanks

Welcome to ScubaBoard Preacher!! I think diving would be excellant for you as it really helps relieve stress on the body. Contact Matt the Wonder Boy for more specific help with your questions. He's a real inspiration to us and we're very proud of him!!

As hnladue mentioned I would contact Matt. Though on a side note their is a girl that is just finishing up her OW cert at the local dive shop here. She use to be a big swimmer then through some accident lost use of her whole lower body. She is now in a wheel chair though once she is in the water you would never know she had a handicap. I think that getting into diving will be good for you, I suggest that you find a instructor that will have the consideration and patience to work with you as it may be tuff on both of you at first. Most of the instructors that I seen work with this girl are more like family then staff constantly encouraging her and supporting her goal.

That is my two cents and I wish you well in your quest.

Hey guys, thanks for the warm welcome. Ya'll are right Matt is an inspiration! :) I am going to order those fins next month or so and give them a try in the pool. I'll let ya'l'l know how they work for me. They look like they will alleviate the ankle problem altogether.
From what I've gathered the right instructor will make a world of difference. There are several dive shops in the area I'm pretty sure I can find one that I'll feel comfortable with. I'd rather drive clear across the state to one I'm comfortable with than use one I'm not to sure about.

And thanks again for making me feel welcome.

Hello

I'm an instructor with the Handicapped Scuba Association http://www.hsascuba.com/
and I do have a a minor disability (Neuropathy). I do take meds for the condition. Standing and excessive walking worsen the condition. If you go to the HSAI website, there is a video they have for sale..."To Fly in Freedom" It's really an inspiration. HSAI teaches people to dive with all forms of disabilities proven over 25 years.

Underwater I am weghtless and it's soo relieving. My kicks are very strong. I use a combination of kicks depending on moods, though my preferred kick is the Dolphin. (You get your propulsion from the abdomine).

One thing that is critical...your buoyancy control...perfect neutral maximizes the effects of your kicks.

There is another board out there that Bill Henns and Doc Vikingo have have just started http://scuba-doc.com/scubaclinic/

There's tons of useful medical info there. I co-moderate the disabled divers forum

Thank you for the reply and the information. I'll add those to my favorites right next to scubaboard. I never knew there was so much information out there about this.

Again thank you all.

James

Welcome Preacher. I too have similar back issues. I have had six back surgeries and am fused from L3 through S1. Up until my last surgery (4 years ago) I was on the edge of a wheelchair. We had sold our old house and purchased a single level with french doors everywhere to accomodate the chair.

At that time I took the equivelant of aprox 60 Vicodin a day for pain relief and still could not walk more than 10-15'. Different drug but converted dosage was that. I got lucky with my last surgery. (final chance and doc gave less than 50/50 for success. Nine days in the hospital and eight months later I went back to work at a new job and now dive.

Contact DAN regarding the specific pain meds you take. There is not much information regarding pain meds and effects of depth. I still take ocasional Norco and more as needed but experience no problems. I do try to avoid them prior todiving if possible.

Being neutrally bouyant is the ONLY way to go. With boat dives you may have trouble reboarding the boat ladder so talk to the crew beforehand.

If possible go for it. You won't be disappointed.

I have a very slight disabilaty were I broke my knee several years ago and it didnt heal correctly. Once in the water im good to go but I do often need some help getting there. I have found that the diving community is more understanding of my limitations then the people in my every day life. I switched to jet fins last year and still cant believe how much more comfortable I am. I had a pair of quattros and gave them to a friend after my first dive with the jets. I dont know if all that garble helps at all but Happy diving and keep at it if you love it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom