Disabled/Handicapped divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Wayne, thanks for the nice words. Yeah, my disease is a drag but I try not to let it bring me down. Complaining and whining about things just makes for a horrible day. I keep my complaining to minutes at a time! Sometimes a person needs to vent you know. I have fought alot of battles, I am never going to give up on my diving dream. I will be sure to keep you and everyone else updated on my funding and updated on my diving status. I can't wait to join you all underwater. Hope you have some great dives! Take care and of course safe diving,
-Matt-

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Hi Rick, how's it going? I like seeing on this forum all the divers with "disabilities". It is really inspiring to me and I am sure to many others. ! I went to check out the pictures of you getting ready and diving on the Divers Descent web site. One of my friends on the dive board sent it to me. That was very impressive! I can tell you do well for yourself. Again, I was impressed to see you put all that gear on, you do look like you are in great shape. I'd rather be in your category than have my disease. You remind me of one of my old friends in high school. I can tell you really enjoy diving. I can't wait to get my dive in soon, I know I will because I never give up. Take care and safe diving from Matt. :crafty:

Hi Matt, keep hanging in there buddy. I like the photo for your avatar, Cool! And yep, I feel that way too.

There's not much to do but keep trying; well, that and not giving in...

Rick

Matt...

If you breath say 40% Nitrox, would that eliminate the ventalator need?

HEY Wayne you are not alone,there are alot of us out there (disabled divers, not too many Waynes thought but Hey I'm both hehe)
I have Muscular Dystrophy and I am still mobil (for how much longer is the question) and I do OK when it comes to diving. We (disabled divers) do have a few more obstacles to overcome before we can just drop on in the water but if we are aware of our limits then we can find ways around them. Just look at Matt! He is just such an inspiration and proof that it can be done!! YOU ROCK MATT!!!!
As far as your questions regarding some of the obstacles we may have I would be more than happy to share any insights I have found that may be a bit helpful in your diving. And I would love to hear some of you findings as well.
I read that you were having a prob with weighting or what sounds to me to be more of a TRIM prob than a weight prob. You said you were having probs staying rightside up without flipping over (I assume you mean facedown in the water so you can SEE the pretty fishes and coral) I have the same problem and the same problem with my legs and feet rising up when I wear a 7mm wetsuit.
The way I corrected the trim problem was to use 2 different weighting devices (I rent BCs so I need to change the setup accordingly but it works) When using a weight integreated BC I also use a weight belt to offset my trim. While wearing a 7mm wetsuit I used 29lbs of lead (yes I know it is way too much weight, I am working on dropping a few lbs) I put 3lbs in each of the rear trim pockets of the BC (6lbs in back) then five pounds in each front weight pocket (10 lbs in front) then 5 lbs on each Side of my weight belt (10lbs) (right at my sides so it balanced me out).and finally a 3lb right at the center of my back on the belt. (total 13lbs on belt) I find that by using both the integerated BC and weight belt it made adjusting Trim alot easier (all you have to do is shift them (foward or backward) on the belt. As for the legs and feet staying down I would say ankel weights BUT for me it would totally tire out my legs way too fast (legs/hips are my main weakness) so I have adopted the dive witout the bottom of the wetsuit theory, it works but up here in NY, BUT in Sept. it was COLD! Next time out I am gonna try using a friends 5mm bottom with a 7mm top and see if that works any better.
I also use some interesting ways to enter and exit the water.
Welcome to the board
WAC

WAC,

Excellent tips! Thanks.

My instructor thought that putting a weight belt on me might be beneficial as you point out. What type of weights do you use? Is there any type of belt you would recommend?

I also thought of belting my legs together (without weights) since I don't use them to keep them from flopping around while swimming. Any thoughts on this approach?

Hi Rick, it was nice to hear back from you. Thanks for the kind words. I am glad someone else likes my avatar. I have always wanted to be a Navy SEAL! I will be diving soon, I am working on another idea that may get me in the water even sooner.
We fighters never give up! It doesn't matter if you have a disablility, people would be surprised what persistance and will power can do!
Take care and safe diving.
-Matt- :crafty:

Hi WAC, hows it going? Glad to see you on the board more! Been on any neat dives lately? I also wanted to say thanks for the nice words and continued support. That's cool that there is this new forum where we can exchange ideas. I have lots of ideas to make my dive work out. Real soon. I will keep you posted along with everyone else. Take care, safe diving from your dive buddy Matt. :wink:

Hi Joe,
Thanks for the great message on my web site and thanks for the idea here. Unfortunatly the Nitrox thought wouldn't work. I would need the vent to take the air out of my lungs. It would be different if I had more strength of my breathing muscles. I am working on a few other ideas to get me in the water quicker than what is planned for the summer of 2006. I just don't know how much time I have and want to get underwater before then. Also, I checked out your groups web site, I really appreciate the feedback and all the ideas that anyone has on this. I will be diving somewhere in Florida. Take care, safe diving!
-Matt- :crafty:

wldake:
WAC,

Excellent tips! Thanks.

My instructor thought that putting a weight belt on me might be beneficial as you point out. What type of weights do you use? Is there any type of belt you would recommend?

I also thought of belting my legs together (without weights) since I don't use them to keep them from flopping around while swimming. Any thoughts on this approach?

Wayne glad I can help
The type of weights I use is your typical plastic covered lead weights that slide onto a weight belt. The belt is a standard nylon belt, the only thing difference is that I use alot of those little plastic weight holders ( I use 6 of em 2 for each weight,each side weight and 2 for the weight on back, they keep the weights from sliding back and forth) so you can keep them exactly where you need them. This REALLY helped eliminate the what I call "turtle" syndrome (stuck on your back arms/legs flailing around). You can position the weights on the weight belt where evrer you need em front, back, sides, and it lets you adjust the trim while you are in the water without too much difficulty (little assistance from your buddy and a bit of practice and it is easy) There is also the added advantage, your BC doesn't weigh 60+ pounds when it is time to get out of the water, it doesn't stress your BC too much or the guy trying to lift it out for ya . You have a good 15 or so pounds on your belt you take that off first hand it up to someone on the boat (or where ever you are exiting from) then you can take off the BC (tank is around 30lbs or so plus any weights in the BC so it could get REALLY heavy if all your weight is in the BC)
As far as belting your legs I think that is an excellent idea. It will help you keep streamlined, it will also help keep your legs from acidentally brushing coral and the like. You may want to put a lite weight on the leg belt as well if you have the problem of keeping your legs down (no more than 2-3 lbs depending on the wetsuit you are using). I would play around with the different configurations with your instructor until you find the most comfortable and useful setup for you. Remember the setup/positioning may change dependant upon diving conditions (fresh vs salt, wetsuit vs no wetsuit, 3mm vs 7mm suit you get the idea) so be ready to experiment a bit
Good luck hope this helped and lets us know what you finally come up with
Now go blow some bubbles
WAC

Back
Top Bottom