Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orcatwiggy

Reaction score
This is not meant to start a thread of negativity towards DIR.

For those experienced in both "traditional" and DIR diving, what would be some disadvantages to proceeding with DIR.

I am beginning my diving career and would like to hear some objective opinions, if there are any, to starting off with the DIR methodologies. I have done alot of research on DIR and am aware of the benefits. But there are always down sides to something, or are there?

Thanks
John

I don't know if this was the best place for you to post this question. Although this is the DIR forum, it means that most of us in here are DIR, and in being so we do not see any disadvantages to diving DIR, or else we would not be DIR.

There Is None :wink:

Works for me.

Wendy:
I don't know if this was the best place for you to post this question. Although this is the DIR forum, it means that most of us in here are DIR, and in being so we do not see any disadvantages to diving DIR, or else we would not be DIR.

Would there be a better forum for this thread. I put it here because I thought there wouldn't be any DIR bashing. You're probably right.

Thanks

orcatwiggy:
I put it here because I thought there wouldn't be any DIR bashing.
That's probably the reason you won't find the answer you're looking for. :wink:

Define disadvantages. There are no recreational (meaning non-commercial) diving situations where DIR won't work. However, if you are interested in smoking, diving solo, or being out of shape, DIR might not be for you.

I guess one potential disadvantage could be the amount of time spent on skill development/refinement and the possibility of it taking a long time to progress through the classes given that they are rather stringent compared to other agency's requirements.

If you want to think you're good at diving, then you don't want to dive DIR.

If you want to wear split fins, smoke, have crappy trim or bouyancy, then you don't want to dive DIR.

If you want to dive solo because "you think it's safer" then you don't want to dive DIR.

If you want other people to look up to your PADI Divemaster status, then you don't want to dive DIR.

If you're the kind of person who turns your back on the buddy, because "you'll find them eventually," then you don't want to dive DIR.

If you're too cheap for Nitrox, and think it's ok to pass anything deeper than 50 feet on air, then you don't want to dive DIR.

orcatwiggy:
Would there be a better forum for this thread. I put it here because I thought there wouldn't be any DIR bashing. You're probably right.

Thanks

I can give you the arguements that the anti-DIR folks will give you:

1. We're religious fanatics, kool-aid, etc.
2. Don't like to be told how to dive.
3. We blindly follow our leaders
4. Unified equipment won't work for "my" kind of diving.
5. Too rigid.
6. Too elitist
7. No "personal preferences"
8. Don't want a hose "wrapped around my head" !!
9. Antiquated methods
10. I love my computer
11. I love deep air and I can "cope" with it.
12. I love my 15 d-rings
13. Wings will push your face into the water at the surface.

I'm sure I'm missing a few. Anyone want to add on??
:wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom