Disassembling Spring straps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I do not have access to see your spring straps first hand and am wondering if they can be taken apart, from the pictures it looks like the spring could be removed/changed etc by removing the screw? Can anyone confirm if this is the case. Cheers.

I have three different kinds of spring straps. One kind clips into the same clips the normal strap uses, so it's plastic. Another uses a small bolt and nut to secure itself, and the third kind uses a metal staple that needs to be bent into the holes in a Jet fin.

Just for clarification I am referring to the clip fitting ones used on Jets. The ScubaPro jet fin spring straps can be easily disassembled by just pushing the two pins out thus releasing the spring from the unit. Was just wondering is this was also possible with the XS scuba springs. I understand the Halcyon ones are very difficult to disassemble.

Yes, I was specifically referring to the XS Scuba ones. Well at least the universal kit we picked up for $20 from CL.

Yes, I was specifically referring to the XS Scuba ones. Well at least the universal kit we picked up for $20 from CL.

Thanks Peter, you are indeed correct, I received some XS springs traps today and removing the spring was very easy. Now if only I could get the original clips off the fins, looks like I need a grinder....

Now if only I could get the original clips off the fins, looks like I need a grinder....
I probably have 8+ grinders in one form or another, and they are not my tool of choice for removing the brass pieces you need to remove. In fact typically it is just a hammer and chisel with the part clamped up in the vice. A pair of dikes would probably do the trick as would a hacksaw. Even a pair of pliers just twisting on them will break them, but do not put force against the rubber of the fin.

I probably have 8+ grinders in one form or another, and they are not my tool of choice for removing the brass pieces you need to remove. In fact typically it is just a hammer and chisel with the part clamped up in the vice. A pair of dikes would probably do the trick as would a hacksaw. Even a pair of pliers just twisting on them will break them, but do not put force against the rubber of the fin.

I ended up filing the pin flush with the clip and then using a punch that got one end out of the clip and then gave it a twist and the other end snapped off. Not sure why they don't just use screws, more expensive I guess. Cheers for your assistance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom