Suggestion Discipline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
SC_Hoaty

SC_Hoaty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The TOS currently discuss 2 types of penalties for folks who infract the rules. These are the 5 day ban and the permanent ban.

On another, non-scuba-related, forum that I recently joined, they have a different system. There are points associated with various infractions, and they expire after a stated amount of time. Too many points in too short a time earns you a temporary ban. The number of points determines the length of the ban.

If this is of interest to the mods and advisors, I can provide the details.

I think this has merit, but can get abused. Mods are great at times, but often the mods can be a little quick to pull the trigger. If enlightening someone during a discussion in a NO FLAME zone is "interpreted" by one mod as too abrasive are we going to get points deducted? What happens when the mod is involved in the discussion? How does the mod get mod'ed? Lots of variables here guys.

Mods do get mod'ed and if a mod enters the conversation they can no longer "mod" the thread.

I like it the way it is, just the occasional "whap upside the head" or a stern warning to "put down the spoon and step away from the pot."

Mods do get mod'ed and if a mod enters the conversation they can no longer "mod" the thread.

I like it the way it is, just the occasional "whap upside the head" or a stern warning to "put down the spoon and step away from the pot."

But the reality is that there are more penalties being dispensed than a) a warning, b) a 5 day ban, and c) a perma-ban. By having a written system of "how bad" leading to "how long," folks will all know what the rules are. Right now there is a bit of "make it up as you go," or at least the appearance of this.

I agree that it works the way it is for the most part. Personalities do cloud judgement no matter how much is claimed to the contrary so rules are not always equally enforced and punishments are not always equal nor are they always calculated without bias.

But, these problems are people problems and they will exist no matter what system is in place. I believe in many ways the current "administration" tries to overcome these problems with varying degrees of effectiveness.

I think this has merit, but can get abused. Mods are great at times, but often the mods can be a little quick to pull the trigger. If enlightening someone during a discussion in a NO FLAME zone is "interpreted" by one mod as too abrasive are we going to get points deducted? What happens when the mod is involved in the discussion? How does the mod get mod'ed? Lots of variables here guys.

I thought one could always appeal an iffy decision. The mod team does a good job, and when mistakes happen, they try to correct them.

I'm glad PapaBear couldn't come back. Permanent bans have their uses to the community.

All the best, James

But the reality is that there are more penalties being dispensed than a) a warning, b) a 5 day ban, and c) a perma-ban. By having a written system of "how bad" leading to "how long," folks will all know what the rules are. Right now there is a bit of "make it up as you go," or at least the appearance of this.

The subjective application will be present no matter what system is in place because you have people involved. It is impossible to define every infraction and every variation of severity therein so people will always be "defining as they go". No way around it IMO.

The subjective application will be present no matter what system is in place because you have people involved. It is impossible to define every infraction and every variation of severity therein so people will always be "defining as they go". No way around it IMO.

To a degree I think you are correct, but think about football. You don't get 5 yards for being offside at one field, and 15 yards and loss of down for the same thing at another field.

Plus, the ability to assign "points" prior to any penalty puts more teeth into the pre-ban process. Warnings are free, but an official sanction of 2 points, lasting 6 months, lets the user know how close he is to the 5 day vacation.

It's not perfect, but might be an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom