Discover Diving class? (Virginia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$700 still sounds like a lot, but if that's the rate in your area, not much you can do about it. Personally I paid $399 for my whole class, including the textbook, all dives, and all gear.

Do the DSD and see how you like it. I was HOOKED after my first time breathing underwater. Almost three years later I finally got my cert and I wish I hadn't had to wait so long. And listen to what everyone has said about mask fit. I LOVE my mask. It fits me perfectly and never leaks....except when I used the regulator I was given on my first day of my class. I had a constant slowwwww leak that was annoying. I got a different reg the next day and ended up using the same one for the rest of my class and even my boat dives after I got my card. No leaks at all. It was just a different mouthpiece that really made the difference, but definitely choose your mask for fit, not price.

Enjoy!

The cost of living in an area really influences how much OW costs. DRIS is my shop. My SDI OW was $450 (included everything but personal gear and quarry entrance fees). The PADI OW is $650.

We’re in the Chicago area, which isn’t known for having a low COL.

@Barnaby'sDad, you've been given some good advice here (welcome, SB is a great place). Depending on where you are in VA, Extended Range Diving Services might be an option for you.

Extended Range Diving Services

They are a dive instructor team based out of Wilmington, NC, but they are putting together a semi-regular teaching spot in the Baltimore-DC area. If this is in drivable distance from you, you might consider them. I did a lot of my training with them an they are really knowledgeable, patient, and fun instructors. They offer personalized instruction and really exemplify what instructors should be.

We tend to overthink things here. I'd go buy some goggles and flippers and just get wet. Have fun!

@Barnaby'sDad, you've been given some good advice here (welcome, SB is a great place). Depending on where you are in VA, Extended Range Diving Services might be an option for you.

Extended Range Diving Services

They are a dive instructor team based out of Wilmington, NC, but they are putting together a semi-regular teaching spot in the Baltimore-DC area. If this is in drivable distance from you, you might consider them. I did a lot of my training with them an they are really knowledgeable, patient, and fun instructors. They offer personalized instruction and really exemplify what instructors should be.

We've got friends up in Annapolis, MD...so I checked out class offerings up there. The issue with up there is that as with Virginia based OW courses...the OW cert dives are still conducted at quarries or lakes, which tacks on an additional $300 or so onto the ~$400 for the pool and academics portion.

If I could find a reasonable priced option outside of the local area that could be knocked out in a weekend (or 2-3 days during the week), I would consider it.

ex. It looks like $250 here for everything (with equipment purchase) for their "economy" package.

Scuba Diving Classes Jacksonville Certification Palm Coast PADI Lesson | Sea Hunt Scuba

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong...if I thought that I could do it anywhere near that amount, I would consider flying down just to get out of town for a couple days.

Have you looked at dive shops in NC, e.g. Olympus? Driving distance from VA, OW dives would be in the ocean, could probably even camp if you were into that to save on the expenses. They're advertising $400 for the classroom, pool, and OW dives.

Have you looked at dive shops in NC, e.g. Olympus? Driving distance from VA, OW dives would be in the ocean, could probably even camp if you were into that to save on the expenses. They're advertising $400 for the classroom, pool, and OW dives.

That is a great deal. Thank you. They have small class sizes too, which would be a plus. I'll keep them in mind.

The class went well. I didn't want to get out of the pool at the end of it. Mask clearing and regulator recovery and clearing went well.

The only real issue is that I ended up with swimmers ear after it. It's been almost 12 hours and my ears are still not right. I dropped by a pharmacy and got Auro DRI drops shortly after I left the pool. Hoping that's not going to be a recurring thing.

I decided to get my own mask (wasn't cheap) before the class. I went to their shop to pick one out. It seems like it fit well when I bought it, but I wasn't real thrilled with how it worked underwater. It just didn't seem like it was sealing properly regardless of how I adjusted the strap or placed it on my face.

Then take the mask back and exchange for another. There’s no use in keeping a leaking mask. They don’t get any better. Trust me on this. I had to go through 16 masks before I got one that didn’t flood as much.

I'll have to see about doing that. They're just far enough away that it's an inconvenience to drop by. That and I'm sure they're going to hit me up about the OW course if I go in (I'm leaning towards going with another certifying agency).:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom