"Discover Scuba" Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACAS1207

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am a certified diver and my GF wants to try scuba but she's not ready to commit to a cert course. We are going away and there is a "discover scuba" course which does not certify you but (I guess) teaches some basic skills so that you can do a dive. It is described as a shallow dive with an instructor. Does anyone know about these types of intro "courses" and what skills they teach you? Thanks.
Anthony

Generally they involve reg clearing, mask clearing and a guided dive.

These kinds of courses are extremely common. They are done throughout the world. While we occasionally hear of it being done under shaky circumstances, they are for the most part very safe. Assuming you are doing it through a reputable operation, it will be done under agency standards and procedures. There is a classroom session that takes a half hour or so, a pool session that is the equivalent of the first module of open water training, and then a shallow open water dive with an instructor.

I did one many years ago and was enthusiastic about getting certified immediately afterward, but I unfortunately sustained an injury that prevented it. On another vacation years later I did it again, and was again so enthused that I got certified soon afterward.

Most teach you the very basics, I think the first confined pool session, how to clear your mask, reg recovery, and how to breath underwater. Most are done with pool first, then out on a shallow dive. When I did mine, there was no pool session, just watched a film, then went out to the ocean. I wouldn't advise anyone else to do it that way, but hindsight is 20/20. Here's what the ones I've observed actually did

Try Scuba Diving at a Local Dive Shop Pool Resort Course - PADI Scuba Dive Certification Guide

You can actually do this locally, too. Discover Scubas can be run in a pool (and to my delight, Divemasters can do them -- I enjoy them enormously).

In places where the open water conditions are conducive to them, they can be run in open water, and then an instructor has to do them.

When I did mine, there was no pool session, just watched a film, then went out to the ocean.

It is possible that this was OK. the rules say there should be a pool session, but it can be done in the open water in "pool-like conditions." I did my second one in Cozumel, and after the classroom session, we went to a sheltered, shallow area of the ocean right next to the hotel to practice our skills. That is acceptable under the rules.

I've stopped teaching them entirely if it involves taking unprepared divers into OW. If she wants to "try" scuba, get her to do a session in a pool with an instructor. If she wants to see pretty fishes, let her snorkel. No need putting her in a "trust me" situation.

If she is thinking about getting certified I would suggest doing a local discover scuba because most shops will apply the skills in the DSD towards confined water dive 1 as well as any cost associated to that DSD to the OW course if she decides to continue. If she continues most shops can do the ow cert in a pretty short time depending on schedules and how well she does in the pool. This will allow her to be fully certified before the vacation.

Just a thought.

My only suggestion is to stress clearing to her. When I did my first and second OW dives there were two discovery divers tagging along. They did not appear to clear the whole way down...

I often do Discover Scuba Diving (PADI) on the House Reef in front of my diving center. There are no 'rules' involving a pool session.

If done through PADI there are some basic requirements:
Program Standards:
Depth: Confined Water — 6 metres/20 feet.
Open Water — 12 metres/40 feet.
Diver Prerequisites: 10 years old
Equipment: Mask, fins, scuba cylinder, buoyancy control device with low-pressure inflator, regulator and submersible pressure gauge.
Instructor Rating:
Confined Water — Divemaster who is a Discover Scuba Diving (DSD) Leader.
Open Water — Instructor

Knowledge Development
Conduct a knowledge development session or briefing that covers:
• Breathing rules and equalization techniques
• Equipment purpose and use
• Hand signals
• Regulator and mask clearing techniques
• Respect for aquatic life (if appropriate)
• Importance of watching and staying close to instructor
• Limitations of the program and value of further
training

Confined Water
• Conduct the briefing (see Section Two - Knowledge Development)
• Help participants with their equipment.
• For a pool experience, have participants practice BCD inflation and deflation at the surface in shallow water.
• For confined open water, have participants meet Skill Performance Requirements.
• Supervise participants as they swim around underwater in shallow water. When comfortable, take participants to deeper water as appropriate while monitoring comfort and air consumption.
• Conduct a debriefing and encourage participants to move on to a PADI certification course.

Skill Performance Requirements
Have participants practice the following skills in shallow water:
• Breathing underwater
• Regulator clearing
• Regulator recovery
• Mask clearing
• Equalization techniques
• Inflate and deflate a BCD at the surface

Open Water (optional)
An instructor:
• Conducts Section Two - Knowledge Development.
• Conducts the Skill Performance Requirements (see Section
Three - Confined Water).
• Guides participants on a tour of the dive site while
monitoring comfort and air consumption.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom