"Discover Scuba" Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is possible that this was OK. the rules say there should be a pool session, but it can be done in the open water in "pool-like conditions." I did my second one in Cozumel, and after the classroom session, we went to a sheltered, shallow area of the ocean right next to the hotel to practice our skills. That is acceptable under the rules.

The problem was when I got in the water I had mask problems, it kept flooding as soon as I put my head under water, and they kept telling me I wasn't clearing it right (now this was my first experience with a mask) it ended up being a faulty mask. We didn't practice any skills, I think the pool sessions help you get more comfortable in the water than just jumping in to the deep blue sea. I do know if I had done it in just a pool situation, I wouldn't be diving today. If any body asks me about diving, I tell them to try DSD where they can get in the ocean. Just seeing the wonders of the sea will let you know if it's for you or not. I just don't think you can get that in a pool.

I've stopped teaching them entirely if it involves taking unprepared divers into OW. If she wants to "try" scuba, get her to do a session in a pool with an instructor. If she wants to see pretty fishes, let her snorkel. No need putting her in a "trust me" situation.

Your call but that does seem a bit extreme. My impression is that discover scuba is a relatively low risk venture as long as the instructor does a good job. My concern with discover scuba would be the quality of the instructor.

Your call but that does seem a bit extreme. My impression is that discover scuba is a relatively low risk venture as long as the instructor does a good job. My concern with discover scuba would be the quality of the instructor.

If this information is accurate, Discover Scuba is the riskiest program, as far as fatalities go.
1.14 deaths per 100,000 dives from 1999-2008
The “Discover Scuba Diving” Programs: Undercurrent 03/2012

Like you said, I think you would really just have to vett the instructor (or divemaster, as they don't need to be an instructor) doing the dive, what the ratio of DM to participants is, as well as the conditions the dive is in. I've seen some absolute horror stories, and most discover participants wouldn't have the information to know what they are doing is potentially dangerous (which also makes vetting an instructor difficult, if you don't know what you don't know. That isn't the case for the OP though). But our shop also ran a DS while I was doing OW pool sessions. The 10 year old was with a private DM, got a good briefing/lesson where they went in, they stayed in the shallower end of the pool (got to about 10 feet deep near the end of the dive, I think) and seemed to take it slow with a great introduction to what breathing on scuba is like. I think that is perfectly safe, as it really isn't much different to what Day 1 of open water is (except less classroom information stressing the dangers).

So Discover SCUBA is not inherently dangerous, but it certainly can be.

The Undercurrent article Skittles posted suggests that it's not the DS program that's dangerous so much as the instructor-student ratio. I bet if the ratio were 1-to-1, it would be supremely safe.

I had experience with 1 instructor and 2 people (me and my SO) in a local pool at a local shop with a "try scuba" Discover Scuba type thing. It was with a good shop with a very good instructor so we had a very positive experience.

We do our discover scuba with a 1:1 ratio, occasionally 2:1 if the individuals seem comfortable and perform the skills easily. And its very safe with a competent instructor. Like was said earlier, maybe think about doing it locally, most shops (we do) will apply the cost of the discover scuba to the open water course

Discover Scuba is a great idea for someone that is interested in scuba but not 100% sure they want to commit to the certification course yet. A good try before you buy concept, but I definately recommend researching your dive shops and find one that is reputable.

I am a certified diver and my GF wants to try scuba but she's not ready to commit to a cert course. We are going away and there is a "discover scuba" course which does not certify you but (I guess) teaches some basic skills so that you can do a dive. It is described as a shallow dive with an instructor. Does anyone know about these types of intro "courses" and what skills they teach you? Thanks.
Anthony

Try this:
[video=youtube_share;75VberZ2NkU]http://youtu.be/75VberZ2NkU[/video] Much easier and more fun than Discover Scuba...if she likes it, the next step is a REAL Open Water Certification course...

See the BHB Marine Park where you can take her for the Tooka dive:
[video=youtube_share;xaidWv0R-bo]http://youtu.be/xaidWv0R-bo[/video]

Her breathing rate and position control suggest this is not her 1st time.

Great video.

My wife did a discover scuba class together while on vacation. Personally I think it is a good way to get exposed to the sport of scuba without having to commit to classes and training. What makes it safe or unsafe is the level of attention from the instructors and the ratio of diver/instructors.

You have a class room video session introducing you basic scuba instructions. Then get in a pool learn to clear your mask, breath off the regulator. For my pool session we did a fin pivot drill as well, then swam off to the deep end for several minutes getting used to being in scuba gear. Class was limited to just my wife an me with one instructor. It was very similar to my first pool session for OW water but less student/instructor ratio.

My daughter did one when we were on vacation in the Caribbean. Very similar set up but she went 4 students/instructor. I was allowed to tag along since I was already certified at that time. Be careful, she begged to complete OW certification while on vacation and she did. Cost lot more money than I anticipated. In long run money well spent since she is my new dive buddy!

Back
Top Bottom