"Discover Scuba" Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds to me like this place does skills at the dive site :
Our dive sites are about 15-20 minutes away and once you arrive there we put everyone else into the water and then throw out a floating line for you to hang onto while the instructor individually comes to you and takes you down a couple feet and has you complete a few skills such as how to clear a mask, replacing/clearing a regulator if water gets in and checking to see if you have the correct amount of weight – we also want to make sure they are comfortable with everything before heading out. Once this is completed the diver will go out on their first dive. The dives for Discover Scuba cannot exceed 40 feet and most times are around 30ish feet.

If your girl is not freaking out about it, she may be okay. But I would try to at least convince her to try it in a pool locally first, then try it in the ocean. that may be too task loaded to try and do, and hang on to a rope.

Last edited:
When I did it in July, we went through a kind of flip chart with the basics of scuba, including: the effects of pressure on the body, basic equipment, dos and donts etc. Then I tried on some of the gear like the wetsuit, the mask and the boots and fins. We then drove about 10 minutes down the road to a lagoon belonging to a hotel where we both entered the water, began our descent and looked around for a while. We then got onto our knees and began some basic skills (mask and reg clearing), which I found fairly easy, though I struggled a bit with the mask clearing. We had another look round and before I knew it we were back at the surface! It goes really quick! I had an excellent time and luckily it was 1 to 1 so we didn't have to keep on surfacing or waiting around. We got to 4.4 metres by the way. It made me really want to go to the next step and do the Open Water course, which hopefully I'll be doing in the near future. Hope this helps a bit!

Harry

As indicated by others on this subject DSD programs are very safe, thorough, and successful when executed properly by the professional. That aside, you can set yourself up for success by doing a little research and eliminating blind faith or 'trust me' scenarios. A participants initial experience with scuba can be one of amazement and lead to desire for certification/more experience or a setback that may eliminate any desire to try it again. Scubaboard is an excellent tool to find excellent operations - but why stop there? You can find reviews of actual DSD participants who had wonderful experiences with named instructors and countless locations. As a relatively long time instructor I take a great deal of pride as well as responsibility in taking someone on there first experience in the water. This is not really all that unique and most instructors (but not all) feel the same way. In short, take some time to get suggestions from other divers here on the board. Once you determine where you are going solicit information with a post on where you are going. Ask questions until you are satisfied. Also consider setting up a one on one experience for her. Be aware as well that sometimes a boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse being present for the experience can add pressure or distract the DSD participant. NOT ALWAYS - but it is a consideration depending on dynamics of the relationship. Depending on location - also consider the best environment for the experience. Some locations for instance are ok to do the experience from a boat while others are much better from shore. I've worked for a number of years for a company doing DSD's from a boat, but never suggested it to individuals inquiring about it to me directly. In fact I suggested avoiding it to many divers including several family members and friends. I was in a location that shore was much much more appropriate for first timers.

Well, I wish you the very best in setting up the dive. Set it up with a little research and care and you could have a dive buddy for a long time to share countless memories. If nothing else you will have set yourself up for the best chance at success.

Good luck again and best of ocean wishes
A

Thanks for all of the advice and help. As it turned out, she took the Discover Scuba with Low Key Dives in St. John and now wants to get certified. It could not have been a better experience. I took a "refresher dive" (it had been 5-6 years since I dove) while she took the "Discover Dive". It was just us two and the instructor which was probably a big factor in making it a great dive for her. IMO, PADI should change the standard 1/4 ratio of instructor to student, to 1/1 or 1/2 for the Discover courses. Besides the safety factor, it also makes for a much better dive experience. But it might not be economically feasible for a dive shop to do that.

I'm glad it worked out, and I'm glad you both had a good time. Now you have a dive buddy, but you have to buy twice as much gear :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom