Discovery Dive in West Palm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Briny Liney

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a friend from Italy coming in a little over a week and I was going to try to see if I could find somewhere for her to do a discovery dive to see what this scuba diving business is all about.
Since I'm going to the Keys this weekend (and she's already been there), I was thinking about just going to West Palm since it's not as far (and it's, so far, my favorite place to dive). Does anyone know a good dive shop or instructor down there where I could get her in a discovery dive course? That way I can dive with her too after she's done the pool work.
Any suggestions are appreciated. :D
I've almost run out of things for us to do in Florida since we've taken her everywhere before (Keys, Everglades, Miami, St Pete, St Augustine, all the theme parks...).

Carlone,

I just got back from Palm Beach. I can recommend Pura Vida for a discover dive. You will dive at the Blue Herron bridge and I must say, the life there is incredible. Instant addiction to diving. Very good for a beginner as it is no deeper than 20 feet. I saw sea horses, frog fish, lots of juveniles, scorpion fish, snook, huge schools of bait fish, cleaner shrimp, lobsters, crabs and you name it it is there. The cost I believe is $100.00 for the discover dive. Pura vida is on Singer Island about a 1/2 mile east of the bridge. Hope that helps.

Palm Beach County Scuba Diving

Bruce

Oooops sorry for the typing error. Caroline

They came up when I did a google search but it's nice to know someone would recommend them. They look like a great operation. I'll definitely have to call them tomorrow! Thanks!

I did my first discover dive with them a year ago. Since then I have 85 dives and I'm a DMC. Went back this year and did a couple of boat dives with them. If you can get Dean (the owner), he really knows that area well and can show you some cool stuff. Hope it works out for ya.

Bruce

I called them today and the girl on the phone was very nice and helpful. But the discovery dive costs $150 without any pool instruction and they take you right in at the Blue Heron Bridge (if I remember correctly) which she said is a controlled environment about 20 feet deep. I don't know if it's worth it for that much money, so I'll have to think about it. I want her to be comfortable and enjoy herself so I was hoping they had pool sessions so she could get used to all the gear and how to use it before having to jump off a boat into the ocean. It would be overwhelming.

The price is about the average for everyone that does Discover Scuba courses. I have never seen any operations that do pool first. They might be out there but I have never seen them. As far as her being comfortable... it's not like your out in the big water. It is a shallow shore dive. I'm sure it coud be a little overwhelming but as soon as her first fish swims by she will completely forget about her nervousness.

Unfortunately, she's just had to have emergency surgery so diving is out of the question. Next time though!

If Pura Vida is full, OceanQuest Scuba does a great job as well. They're in the Riviera Beach Marina. We dive with them whenever we can. Sandy & her crew know the reefs there better than some folks know the layout of their living room, and as an instructor, Sandy is wonderful at making folks feel comfortable in the water. She's trained & certified my wife and both my kids.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom