Discovery Dive Trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TruthAquatics

Registered
Reaction score
They're back!

New to scuba diving? Away from the sport and need an easy come back?

We have the perfect trip for you! The month of April has two great options aboard the Vision and Conception, and we'd like to invite all divers, specially the new ones, to join our Discovery Dive trips.

Check them out and... let's dive!

Discovery Dive Trips

Glad you posted. My 2015 scuba dance card is full, but Lord willing and providing, I hope to get in a couple of trips in 2016. One solo 'dive-dive-dive,' one 'Scuba trip disguised as a family vacation' (per wife) with me doing 10 dives & wife, toddler & mother-in-law out entertaining themselves elsewhere.

I'm mainly a warm water diver (e.g.: mostly Bonaire, but also hit Key Largo, Jupiter & a smattering of other places). But I'd like to try California some time. I've been checking into the matter, and perhaps other 'California curious' potential dive tourists may share some of my issues with it. So asking here might help.

General Considerations for a potential California Trip:

1.) Shore (Mainland or Catalina Island)? From what I understand, the shore diving can be daunting; Monastery Beach is nicknamed Mortuary Beach, and has run up a body count. Getting a local guide or group is highly advisable. And while Catalina has that location with the stairs, I can't see flying round trip just to do that.

2.) Boat (Day Boat vs. Live-Aboard)? From what I understand, if you're going to make one trip to California, and you want boat diving (which is probably easier to get into right off that shore?), the Channel Islands are the destination to hit. Somebody may argue with me about this. A live-aboard would offer the most dives, and cover housing & food for those days.

Seems to me boat diving, ideally by live-aboard, would be best.

3.) Who to dive with? Truth has a fine reputation from what I'm turning up online; California Diving Magazine online has a Dec. 2014 article Diving Aboard The Truth: California Diving At Its Best. You're not the only op. in California, but you seem to be a good choice.

So, let's say someone wants to fly out to Santa Barbara (or elsewhere?) and spend a week diving the Channel Islands via a Truth live-aboard. But there are issues; remember that many people like 'turn key' operations like Buddy Dive in Bonaire, or Jupiter Dive Center in Florida. You show up, and equipment rentals, tanks, weights, dive boats, etc..., it's all there. Plus guides on boat dives. But California isn't all like that...

1.) Your business tends toward 2 or 3 day trips, yes? Bit short for paying to fly out for a week. I asked someone with another live-aboard operation elsewhere some questions once; from what I understand frequent deep diving can add up to heavy nitrogen loading & DCS risk as the days add up, and boat crew are often volunteer & easier to get if you're not gone too long. Plus you can host more people if it's for a shorter time. To help people plan, why don't you do 7 day trips? What if someone wants to do 2 trips back-to-back? Is that a problem?

2.) You don't do direct gear rental; even tanks. Your site links to SEA Landing Activities. Which says it links to Sea Landing Dive Center Services, but that seems to link to one of those 'not a real site, give you miscellaneous headings & keep you clicking' sites. That's a problem; unlike researching trips with Jupiter Dive Center (Florida) & Olympus Dive Center (Morehead, NC), I can't find the gear prices. In this age of internet browsing, I'm not keen on phoning when in the early stages of research. So...

-----A.) Do they have 120 cf tanks? Cold water, maybe deep, strange place, thick exposure protection, do they rent big tanks? How much for a pair per day? Or do I just need one?

-----B.) Got nitrox?

-----C.) Since a 7mm wetsuit is said to be necessary for those of us who don't use drysuits (and aren't inclined to train with one for a one time trip), what sizes? I wear a 3x Henderson Thermoprene 5 mm full wetsuit, and it's okay but I wouldn't have smaller. Does this dive shop have such? Price/day?

3.) Seems like you do a lot of group charters; outside of these discovery offerings, do you do much 'open seating' where people who, say, want to come dive in September or whenever just e-mail or call you directly & book? Or must people mostly go through 3rd party dive shops who've booked the boat?

4.) For people doing day trips, or leaving non-diving family on shore, what are the closest, 'easiest' mainstream hotels to you that divers often stay at & have good experience with?

5.) California dive boats don't offer free dive guide service, for the most part. That's also true of Olympus Dive Center in Morehead, N.C., but for $35/day I can get a private one (for 2 tanks). Do you offer a paid private guide service? When I travel, I want to enjoy myself, not play with the compass, and especially not while swimming through a kelp forest hoping to avoid entanglement.

6.) For a solo traveler just doing a live-aboard trip, any idea whether the airport is close enough for a cab ride to & from your shop to be cost effective, to avoid paying to rent a car or for a hotel room? Sort of the like the Caribbean live-aboard trips sometimes work.

A lot of questions I know, and I'm not the most adventurous, independent tool in the shed; more a mid-40's chubby comfort-zone love'in 'I hate surprises' kind'a guy, but if I need to know that stuff, probably some other people do, too.

Richard.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply and interest in diving California!

Truth Aquatics is an award winning liveaboard dive fleet, offering unique diving experiences around the California Channel Islands and Big Sur coast. We have been diving the Channel Islands for more than 40 years and we are proud to have the most knowledgeable crew out there. Our fleet were specifically designed and built for divers by divers, setting the standards for liveaboard dive boats on the California coast.

Looks like you have a lot of questions... let me try to quickly answer few of them and, please do not hesitate to contact us anytime for more information.

If the plan is a scuba diving vacation, we suggest to come aboard one of our multi-day trips to the Channel Islands. As you probably know, the Channel Islands have an unique and well protected ecosystem, providing fantastic scuba diving locations and conditions. The islands are relatively close to each other, but each one of them has something special and an unique underwater world. For that reason we recommend a longer trip where we can dive different islands. A 5-day trip is a great option to explore the archipelago.

All of our trips have meals and regular air fills included in the price (Nitrox is not included, but is available). Gear is not included, but you can rent them all here at the Sea Landing (same place where we operate our boats from) what makes it very easy and convenient for those long distance travelers (please, find attached the gear rental list). The Sea Landing is also located in the heart of Santa Barbara with lots of lodging, shops and restaurant facilities all around.

Check our online calendar for trips. Our high season starts around July and there are great long trips already scheduled. Please, contact us to know more about the trips and how to reserve your space aboard. Most of the trips are charters and we will help to put you in contact with the group chartering the boat.

Truth Aquatics is located at the Sea Landing, in the Santa Barbara Harbor. We are less than 30 minutes away from the Santa Barbara Airport or a couple of hours away from Los Angeles (LAX). Either way you will find great transportation.

I'm sure there's much more to be answered... keep in touch and let's dive!

Attachments

• Gear Rentals 2015.pdf
    72 KB · Views: 67
Thanks for the follow up. A few observations:

1.) When I click in link to your online calendar, on the iPad and using Firefox on the Mac, it gives me a page showing 3 separate months with separate events, vertically oriented, but each month as the same name (e.g.: all March or all July). Using Safari, I get one month, plus the start of the next, both with the same month name. This leaves confusion as to which is 'the real July,' etc...

2.) Per the equipment list, tanks available are steel, 85 and 95 cf. I wish bigger but 95 is better than 80, and steel nice for diving with more exposure protection.

3.) Sounds like someone looking for avoid car rental fees would hit Santa Barbara airport at a half hour away; I assume taxi fees each way wouldn't be too severe?

4.) Looking over your calendar, it seems like you don't offer a lot of the 5 day trips (which I agree sound optimal), and a number of your trips aren't back-to-back, so combining a 2 day & a 3 day will limit the options considerably.

5.) The gear rental sheet shows the cost for a wetsuit, but not the available sizes. I'm not trained for dry suits; for those who are, I don't see them listed as a rental option.

More info. than I had to begin with.

The big question as yet unanswered is, do you offer a paid private dive guide service?

A big part of why I posted asking the things I did is because I believe the difficulty in easily getting all this info. online independently is a barrier to more people headed to California for dive tourism. Complexity is off-putting.

Researching California reminds me of researching for a planned & hoped for Morehead trip later this summer; I found a lot of posts, reviews and such online with some info. about North Carolina diving, but no one place that comprehensively told me nearly all I needed to know.

Richard.

P.S.: Given the lower viz. of California diving compared to some places, and the understandable desire of many to dive the kelp forests, it seems to me many dive tourists would rather hire a guide than be stuck with navigating. That's a politically incorrect viewpoint on the forum from what I've seen, but it's the practical reality for much of your potential customer base. Especially if you marked to people from outside the region who didn't train locally or in similar conditions & are not advanced.

---------- Post added March 24th, 2015 at 06:14 PM ----------

Found this on your web page:

Guided diving is not offered, nor do we staff dive masters onboard the boat. The captain will give a briefing on each dive spot covering depth, terrain and conditions and then divers are free to dive and explore. We do have a chase boat and staff a safety diver, who is ready to enter the water in an emergency.

So, I take it there's no mechanism even for hiring a private guide?

Richard.

Hi Richard,

We're happy to assist with information and contacts.

You should be able to easily find a private dive guide or master here in Santa Barbara. Truth Aquatics don't have a guide or master aboard any of our trips. You can contact a local dive shop or even post a request here, and I'm sure you will find one. If you decide to join a charter group they will also assist you finding one.

Our online calendar should be linked to the current month, showing the 3 vessels. You can find the month's menu at the top of the page (2015 and 2014).

We don't rent tanks bigger than 95 cf.

Santa Barbara airport is very small and not many direct flights. A taxi fare is probably less than $50. Los Angeles has great transportation from LAX to Santa Barbara (Airbus is a great option).

Starting in July we have few 4 and 5-day trips scheduled. Do you have a preferred month to travel? Summer time at the Channel Islands is perfect!

The Sea Landing gear shop has wetsuit sizes from S to 4XL.

Keep in touch!

Thanks for the clarification on the calendars. I didn't make the connection with you having 3 different boats, which should open up considerably more offerings. Good to know.

For me, travel would be 2016. I'd love to dive more, but my out-of-state parents want to see that toddler grand daughter, so I have to factor in some vacation time for that. They're already mad that when they asked when they might see her again I said 'Thanksgiving.'

So if a customer wants to bring a private dive guide/master, does the customer have to pay the full trip price for that guide? I'm assuming so, but figured I should ask and confirm that such is the practice. Your site says Instructors may go free on one day trips, so I wondered if any special accommodations were in place for other people in a professional or 'service' role.

Thanks for the added info. Very useful for planning logistics.

Richard.

6.) ... any idea whether the airport is close enough for a cab ride to & from your shop to be cost effective ... ?

The "airport" out by the university is still in many ways a rural airfield. Not a bad choice. Never my first choice. (If you own or lease an aircraft, it quickly starts to look like paradise, but that's OT)

That leaves ground transportation.

I remember when there were no stoplights on 101 in Santa Barbara County. In the last six years or so, the traffic has increased to where it looks like I-5 in south LA county. Last summer and fall, a variety of construction projects helped cause miles of gridlock through downtown.

Happily, you can avoid this with little effort. You could take the train.

- Pacific Surfliner
- Schedule and Fares for Los Angeles to Santa Barbara | Amtrak California

In Ventura and Santa Barbara County, the views are amazing, especially in the late afternoon and evening.

For crossing urban areas, you could bring a book with an interesting cover. Or bring a pile of newspapers, and give them to fellow riders as you finish each one. Or just mingle, and meet new people.

Downtown Santa Barbara itself is a delightful place. If you allow a few extra hours to walk around, I think you will enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom