Discovery Scuba Program experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Starfish

Contributor
Reaction score
I work with a kids group and there has been interest in organizing a Discovery Scuba Session for them. They are ages 12 through 17.

Has anyone had any experience with kids and this program?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks, Starfish

depending on where you are in MN I have talked to 2 LDS about doing this with the BoyScouts try talking to your LDS or PM me and I will let you know the shops I talked to.

Both shops are on the west side of the twin cities

I have a little experience with it. My advice, keep the kids in small groups and keep the parents out of the pool while the kids are in it. The kids tend to pay more attention to the parents than the instructor/dm.

I would check with a local PADI dive shop, I'm not pushing PADI, they just have a very well ogranized program for kids.

Scott

NetDoc (Pete) has been involved in something similar to what you are describing. Unfortunately, I don't know enough details to tell you exactly what he's doing.

But if you send him a Private Message (PM), I'm sure he'll be more than happy to provide all the info you want.

The group of kids is involved with an afterschool program. The parents are use to/often give permission for the supervising adults to take the kids on excursions.

The __intent__ is not to have the parents come to the program.

We have several adult divers who would supervise along with the requist DM and Instructor.

Thanks for the existing replies. Starfish

PADI Instructors can offer two introductory options.

Discover Scuba (DS) is a session in the pool in which the students get to experience breathing on scuba. There is a student to instructor ratio of 8:1, with 2 additional students permitted per divemaster assisting. Recommended course time is 60 minutes, including 30 minutes of pool time.

Discover Scuba Diving (DSD) includes a pool session and a dive in open water. The pool session has the same ratios as a DS program, but the open water dive reduces the ratio to 4:1, with 2 additional students permitted with a divemaster assisting - but no more than 6 six students to 1 instructor regardless of number of divemasters. Recommended course time is 3 hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom