Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rachael_243

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,
I’m just wondering what disinfectant I can use on my dive gear. I see that DAN has recommended Steramine or other Quaternary Ammonium Compounds but Steramine does not seem to be available in the UK and I’m nervous to just choose another household disinfectant without being certain that it’s suitable for use. Any suggestions?

Or products that OAPs use to sterilize their false teeth like Steradent Active or own brand equivalents.

DAN Europe - Dettol for equipment disinfection

I thought about Dettol but this came up when I googled it.

So diluted household bleach is better than dettol ...

With Scuba equipment I generally prefer to use cleaning agents which have been tested as being safe for oral use. So I use a diluted white vinegar solution for cleaning/servicing regulators and Steradent Active for sterilisation. I avoid using products I would put in a drain, but not in my mouth.

Your own gear? Not rented equipment?

1) Soap should be effective against the corona virus

2) Apeks regulators: "The second stage is manufactured with active protection against infection as all molded parts are produced with an additive that kills MRSA, protects against E-Coli, bacteria and fungi, and is also very effective against viruses, mould, yeast and algae."

Hi all,
I’m just wondering what disinfectant I can use on my dive gear. I see that DAN has recommended Steramine or other Quaternary Ammonium Compounds but Steramine does not seem to be available in the UK and I’m nervous to just choose another household disinfectant without being certain that it’s suitable for use. Any suggestions?
You might want to read BSAC’s equipment maintenance guidance, just one guidance document from this return to safe diving page.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom