Disinfecting second stages.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tec Clark just released a new podcast about this very subject.

Some claim to have experienced an allergic reaction to Madacide-1 residue left on gear; and one of the common methods for its use, at least in that podcast, involved an initial fresh water rinse of regulators after use; a dip in a 10% Madacide solution; and subsequent storage of that gear without any further rinse. Eh, no thanks.

I'll stick with Virkon-S and Steramine, with lots of rinsing . . .

The Star San manufacturer's website doesn't provide any information about kill spectrum or dwell time, information typically provided about disinfecting products, so I don't know that I would consider it reliable for disinfecting purposes (though it's been reliable for me in home brewing). Amron International sells Sanizide, which is a quaternary ammonium chloride based disinfectant. If you really want to be assured of a sanitary regulator, something like that is probably the way to go.

Best regards,
DDM

Personal gear, why? Just rinse. However if you are a shop owner/operator that rents gear then maybe use Madacide or something similar. However its probably gone just like the TP is at this point

Personal gear, why? Just rinse.
A BIG problem is rinse tanks. Best to think of them as for salt only, and to independently afterwards disinfect, and then in fresh running water rinse the disinfectant off. Many folks NEVER use a communal mask bucket. Now that extends to communal reg buckets.

When I dove in India I refused to use the communal rinse tanks after diving. I lugged my gear back to my room and used the shower to rinse everything off exceedingly well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom