Dispelling scubaboard myths (Part 1: It is the instructor not the agency)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The more I think about it... I'm leaning more towards the certification agencies all being the same at the open water level outside of a few program differences (NAUI incorporates some form of in-water rescue at initial training; SDI is all computer based training; SSI and SDI requires a dive shop affiliation). What I can say about NAUI is they allow me a very broad spectrum and latitude to teach my way and incorporate as many extras to my lessons than what I saw while as an SSI instructor. From what I've seen of watching PADI instructors is that they use a checklist (good thing) but I was told that the educational progress can't deviate from it, go to the next skill... and I have never seen an instructor do so (bad thing).

SSI and SDI requires a dive shop affiliation

I'm not currently a SDI instructor, but I am fairly certain that they don't require dive shop affiliation.

LOL. I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV... May I offer some medical advice or perform that surgery for you?

Oh yes, because that's exactly the same thing <eyes roll>.

Even more funny as I have friends who are SDI instructors and don't have a physical store.

On second thought, let's go together to their booth at DEMA and ask there.

I'm not currently a SDI instructor, but I am fairly certain that they don't require dive shop affiliation.

For SDI, DMs do not have to affiliate with a shop but instructors do. I believe. For now.

For SDI, DMs do not have to affiliate with a shop but instructors do. I believe. For now.

So I got off the phone with a buddy who is crossing over to SDI. He described to me the two primary questions he was asked. First, does he sell gear? As an independent instructor, I'd be selling gear for Deep 6. It is my intention for when I have my own dive op in Greece that I'll be using all the Deep 6 gear I can (regs, fins, bp/w, and by then dive computer). The other question was about air fills. I plan on getting a small air compressor to do my own fills. Now all of this I would do in my garage. Now it is possible that I work with a shop that only teaches tech as a means of generating sales for them, in a way that is mutually beneficial. That would work nicely in terms of having classroom space and a convenient fill station near one of the primary dive sites that everyone in my area uses for training. Finally, there is a pool I would use not too far away.

But I can still do everything out of my garage. I don't feel this is the same as an actual dive shop. Maybe it is just me.

At DEMA I do plan on attending SDI's cross over presentation on Saturday from 10 am to 1 pm. Should be very interesting. I think I'm going to go for it, and see about teaching AN/DP once I qualify, as a couple instructors that teach for the same chain of shops as me do that (the chain doesn't teach tech at all).

As far as I know, PADI is the only agency that enables truly independent instructors.

That said, most agencies have a 'regional office', through which an independent instructor can arrange to process their certifications, order materials etc etc...

As far as I know, PADI is the only agency that enables truly independent instructors.

That said, most agencies have a 'regional office', through which an independent instructor can arrange to process their certifications, order materials etc etc...

Including RAID? I"ll be talking to them at DEMA as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom