Dispelling scubaboard myths (Part 1: It is the instructor not the agency)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey! In self defense it was late and I followed the crossing over link. But you are right, I should have seen it. :)

Sorry. It wasn't meant as a dig at all. I was just telling you where to find the link on the website, so you wouldn't have to refer back to this thread to get to the page.

Sorry. It wasn't meant as a dig at all. I was just telling you where to find the link on the website, so you wouldn't have to refer back to this thread to get to the page.

Stuart, absolutely no need to apologize. If something is right in front of my nose, I should have noticed. I don't mind. I appreciate the heads up, even if it is with a bit of teasing. You were not being snarky at all. All good.

I thought I would use this in further reply to a previous comment about a couple agencies that ensure their instructors are the very best, and I said there was a difference between making sure they were excellent divers and making sure they were excellent instructors.

I had extensive training through one of those agencies, and in one of the first classes, the instructor talked about that sequence I quoted above. He sneered at that, and said "In this class I won't hold your hand the way PADI does." He didn't. He didn't explain or demonstrate before demanding that we perform a skill, because that would be holding our hands.

Call me a wimp, but I could have used some hand-holding, and I would have preferred a little less ridicule when my first attempts fell short.

Curious, why did you continue?

Curious, why did you continue?
Simple.

I was a fellow employee of the dive shop through which he was teaching, a dive shop that had officially committed itself to that agency. If I had left, that would have been the end of that employment.

I eventually did leave and cross over to another agency, and it was the end of my employment.

Coincidently, the shop changed recreational agencies and marketing philosophies at precisely the same time I crossed over. I did not approve of either, so I was ready to go anyway.

Last edited:
Simple.

I was a fellow employee of the dive shop through which he was teaching, a dive shop that had officially committed itself to that agency. If I had left, that would have been the end of that employment.

I eventually did leave and cross over to another agency, and it was the end of my employment.

Coincidently, the shop changed agencies and marketing philosophies at precisely the same time I crossed over. I did not approve of either, so I was ready to go anyway.
Thanks John, I can sympathize, been in a similar situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom