Dissatisfied with DSS boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi!

Well, as you may recall, when I first got my DSS boots, I came on here to sing high praises about their shipping policies and not screwing me just because I live in Alaska. That thread ended up being deleted due to some malcontent activity by others - but it was here for a little while (;

Well, I just got back from a trip - where I had a chance to actually use my DSS boots. They almost cost me my dive computer! The little hole, for lack of a better term, where the bungie goes in, split open. Fortunately, I had another bungie through the other set of holes, so I did not lose the computer - but still - I might have. I looked it over pretty good and I can see a crack starting at the other holes too.

So, this thing is entirely not usable. I've only used it once, for 2 dives just before going on my trip, and on the trip itself (14 dives total) and already the boot is worthless. I can't think of anything I would have done to abuse the thing, and it's not like it has just worn out with age or overuse or anything.

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed ):

Hi!

Well, as you may recall, when I first got my DSS boots, I came on here to sing high praises about their shipping policies and not screwing me just because I live in Alaska. That thread ended up being deleted due to some malcontent activity by others - but it was here for a little while (;

Well, I just got back from a trip - where I had a chance to actually use my DSS boots. They almost cost me my dive computer! The little hole, for lack of a better term, where the bungie goes in, split open. Fortunately, I had another bungie through the other set of holes, so I did not lose the computer - but still - I might have. I looked it over pretty good and I can see a crack starting at the other holes too.

So, this thing is entirely not usable. I've only used it once, for 2 dives just before going on my trip, and on the trip itself (14 dives total) and already the boot is worthless. I can't think of anything I would have done to abuse the thing, and it's not like it has just worn out with age or overuse or anything.

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed ):

If you lace the bungee too tightly you can tear the boots.

Remember the vast majority of users haven't had the problems you report.

Send me the boot, with the bungee and I'll take a look at it.

Tobin

I had this problem early on with my boot for my Suunto also. I noticed it after getting my drysuit. I need to replace it one day, but Tobin, honestly, I think the walls are bit thin for the stress on the bungie. J

ust my personal opinion, and you know I think VERY highly of your gear.

Send me the boot, with the bungee and I'll take a look at it.
Well, I don't have that bungie for the computer boot anymore - I pitched it after my last dive on the trip - since it wasn't holding anything on anyway. I do have the bungie on the OTHER side of the boot (still attached). Looking at it right now, I can see a crack forming - it's about half way through the little hole. But I really don't see how it can be too tight, given that when it is on my wrist - putting it on right now, it isn't even tight enough to hold the boot in place - it flip flops around. If I hold the boot (with the computer in it) up off my wrist as much as the slack in the bungie will allow (without stretching the bungie), it clears my wrist by a good half inch or so.

The $5 in return shipping charge for the broken boot is well on the way to the $12 or so I'd have to pay for a new one, in the event I end up being told "not our problem" (jumping the cost up to $19 or so). Not really worth the risk.

FWIW, the other boot, on the compass, appears to be in fine shape - and has the same amount of slack in the bungie as the computer boot.

The only difference I can see is that on the compass boot, I am using the inner most set of holes - and there is a LOT more thickness of the rubber material between the inner hole and the outer hole than there is between the outer hole and the outside edge of the product. The same is true for the inner/outer holes on the computer boot (although not between the holes and the outside edge that borders all the holes - if that makes any sense). Anyway - seems like thicker material around the holes would make an improved device.

Thanks for the response.
ND

We have very few problems, and most of the boots that fail, fail once, and then oddly the replacement usually continues to perform for years.

I know for a fact anything can be broken.

I suppose the real answer is pretty obvious, I can just stop selling any boots, and nobody need risk being disappointed.

Tobin

We have very few problems, and most of the boots that fail, fail once, and then oddly the replacement usually continues to perform for years.

I know for a fact anything can be broken.

I suppose the real answer is pretty obvious, I can just stop selling any boots, and nobody need risk being disappointed.

Tobin

Honestly, at the price you sell them, I consider them a wear item. Just like the cave line I have on most of my gear, or my drysuit seals, or any other thin or rubber item (save for the Jetfins).

Again, I think it would be helpful if the walls of the material were a bit thicker, but I'm not going to quibble for $12. Which is why you haven't heard from me in the 2-3 years I've had this boot!

Honestly, at the price you sell them, I consider them a wear item. Just like the cave line I have on most of my gear, or my drysuit seals, or any other thin or rubber item (save for the Jetfins).

Again, I think it would be helpful if the walls of the material were a bit thicker, but I'm not going to quibble for $12. Which is why you haven't heard from me in the 2-3 years I've had this boot!

Why aren't there 12 other choices for after market bungee ready mounts?

Because the typical injection mold costs $10-20K, more for complicated, negative draft parts that have to be "jumped" off the core.

I've made a good faith effort to try and service the tiny little market for after market gauge mounts. I hate to think about the fact I will probably NEVER recover the cost of the molds.

The key is not over stretching the bungee.

The solution is not a new set of molds, it lies in user education.

I'll repeat again, seldom does the same user have two mounts fail. Why? not because we send them an new and improved mount with thicker walls.

It's because they use the same mount differently.

Tobin

Ok, so I'm a dummy that overstressed and over stretched the mount.

overstressed and over stretched the mount.

FYI, I started with thicker bungees; I forget the diameter but they fit through the holes in the boot perfectly - but they required a lot of pressure to stretch them when donning/doffing if I wanted the loops small enough for a secure fit on my arms. I've since changed out to thin bungee, and it not only makes don/doff easier, the ease by which they stretch puts far less stress on the boot.

Yep, I did exactly the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom