Dissatisfied with DSS boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DSS bungie mounts for both my Vytec and SK-7 compass have worked flawlessly.

On a regular basis I hand them over to other divers to try (strong believer in the increased situational awareness from wrist mounted instruments) and they've been "stretched" to the limit up a number large wrists/suits without issue.

These mounts are one of the few pieces of gear I've ever owned that I HAVEN'T had problems with ... and I own and use several of them.

Sell enough of anything and somebody's gonna have a problem. I'd rather have it with a $12 piece of plastic than with an expensive light, computer, or regulator ... (all of which I've had problems with at some point or another).

Dissatisfaction shouldn't come from a product failure, only with the failure of the manufacturer/supplier to support the product. I've only ever known Tobin to provide the highest level of support.

So what's the complaint?

FWIW - I think you should have given him a chance to address the problem before coming onto a public Internet forum complaining about it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I went back and loosen up the bungie cords on the mounts. We shall see if they're still tight enough underwater comes the dives this weekend. But so far so good with only 20 dives for these bungie mounts.

I've also never had a problem with my four or five DSS boots.

Really don't get the point of coming on here and bitching before even giving the manufacturer a chance to address what obviously seems to be a very isolated case. Then again, some people are just like that.

Tobin,
You can't please everyone, some people just don't want to take responsibility.
I have a vyper and a suunto sk7, put them in and laced em like the directions said.
Never had to give them a second look, work perfect on my wetsuit and over my dry glove rings. Bought them both for like $25, vs a new suunto wrist mount which is $50-$75 dollars. How can you argue with that, even if you have to replace them every couple of years they are still worth it. How much does it cost to hydro, or VIP a tank. This sport aint cheap.
Keep makin them they work great! When mine wear out I'll buy another pair without thinking twice.

I made my bungees a bit too long and mounted a cord lock on each loop. Easy to put the computer on my wrist, and the loop size adjust - quite easily - to any suit thickness I've worn so far. The cord lock holds the loops tight enough to keep the computer in place, but will let the cord slip if I tighten them too much.

Just an idea.

Henrik

Do you have a picture of this?

Why aren't there 12 other choices for after market bungee ready mounts?

Because the typical injection mold costs $10-20K, more for complicated, negative draft parts that have to be "jumped" off the core.

I've made a good faith effort to try and service the tiny little market for after market gauge mounts. I hate to think about the fact I will probably NEVER recover the cost of the molds.

The key is not over stretching the bungee.

The solution is not a new set of molds, it lies in user education.

I'll repeat again, seldom does the same user have two mounts fail. Why? not because we send them an new and improved mount with thicker walls.

It's because they use the same mount differently.

Tobin

Dude,
Ain't that what Dremels are for? Hell, just go after that sucker with a rat-tail file, you'll be in good shape! Flash smash, that's what Stanley knives are for, right? Just go for it, you'll thank me someday!

P.S. You might want to let me know before you do this, because I want to get my order for a dozen boots in first.

I own three dss boots (sk-7, uwatec b/t, Tec2g) and the very existence of the dss boots greatly influenced my purchase decision on the compass and the computer.

Tobin,
I have 50+ dives on the Oceanic Versa Pro and Suunto SK7 mounts. They look like the day I got them. I also have about 10 friends who are also enjoying the mounts.

Should I stock up with a few just in case you stop selling them?

Last edited:
I purchased a DSS wrist mount for my Suunto Gekko and LOVE it.

Have about 21 dives on it and it works like a charm.

Going to get an SK-7 soon and will buy another DSS mount at that time. I'm >< that close to buying a DSS 17 Torus wing..may pull the trigger tomorrow am.

CTB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom