Disturbing experience at dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@tmassey valid wanting to get off of the first bottle asap and without knowing the run-time it's hard to comment any further. I'm not sure if the first bailout bottle is a single bottle or sidemount, but I don't think I have the balls to go down there with one bottom bottle at 14atas....

Since it's in the ocean, I'd have my LP50's in the rack with 8/75, then a stage of either 21/35, 30/30, or 35/25 something in that ballpark for a first deco gas depending on which one maximizes deco efficiency, then 50% and 100%.

Way outside of my area of expertise though so opinions of someone like @kensuf is a bit more valid. Was also interesting listening to the podcast that @atedeschi posted last week about trying to get down to as few bottles as possible for the ocean so hopefully he'll weigh in as he's actively doing deep CCR diving in the ocean

@tmassey valid wanting to get off of the first bottle asap and without knowing the run-time it's hard to comment any further. I'm not sure if the first bailout bottle is a single bottle or sidemount, but I don't think I have the balls to go down there with one bottom bottle at 14atas....

Since it's in the ocean, I'd have my LP50's in the rack with 8/75, then a stage of either 21/35, 30/30, or 35/25 something in that ballpark for a first deco gas depending on which one maximizes deco efficiency, then 50% and 100%.

Way outside of my area of expertise though so opinions of someone like @kensuf is a bit more valid. Was also interesting listening to the podcast that @atedeschi posted last week about trying to get down to as few bottles as possible for the ocean so hopefully he'll weigh in as he's actively doing deep CCR diving in the ocean

OK so how many bailout tanks are you comfortable carrying, in the ocean, getting on and off a boat in choppy seas?

OK so how many bailout tanks are you comfortable carrying, in the ocean, getting on and off a boat in choppy seas?

Like I said, not knowing the dive time, it's hard to say. Thankfully I have a rack and have climbed up the ladder in choppy seas. 3 bailout bottles on top of the rack is the same amount of "extra stages" that you'd have, but because my rack has 2x 50's and 2x 3l's, it means my dil, deep bailout, o2, and suit inflation gases are on the rig itself.
Part of that though is all theoretical since I don't do those kinds of dives. That may well fall into the practicality of team bailout strategies, or frankly getting a BoB/deco breather if I was doing those on the regular.

Why not put them on a line?

My experience with deco is limited to exactly one bottle, so I apologize if this is a dumb thought.

I’ve seen divers go in and out with multiple bottles — usually because of cranky captains and cattle car service. I can’t imagine it’s a cattle car to 400 feet dives... So why not put the bottles on a line? In which case, getting on and off are not an issue. Is clipping all those bottles on/off underwater unrealistic? If so, my knees would need a lift!

As for carrying 3 vs 4 on the dive: I can certainly understand maybe not adding another bottle. But others were saying an AL80 was not an obviously generous amount of bailout gas. If you need more gas, you need it. And it seems to smooth out the range of mixes available.

My primary focus on such a dive would be to have sufficient gas and in a proper range of mixes to achieve a decent margin throughout the dive, especially on bailout. I’m certain my inexperience is causing me to want greater margins than you’re planning and maybe they’re unrealistic.

But getting them into and out of the water seems like it would be pretty far down the list during cost/benefit analysis...

Again: unsolicited questions/observations from an unqualified diver — the definition of “peanut gallery”. Please do not be offended by my ignorance, and ignore if I’m in the way.

Why not put them on a line?

My experience with deco is limited to exactly one bottle, so I apologize if this is a dumb thought.

I’ve seen divers go in and out with multiple bottles — usually because of cranky captains and cattle car service. I can’t imagine it’s a cattle car to 400 feet dives... So why not put the bottles on a line? In which case, getting on and off are not an issue. Is clipping all those bottles on/off underwater unrealistic? If so, my knees would need a lift!

As for carrying 3 vs 4 on the dive: I can certainly understand maybe not adding another bottle. But others were saying an AL80 was not an obviously generous amount of bailout gas. If you need more gas, you need it. And it seems to smooth out the range of mixes available.

My primary focus on such a dive would be to have sufficient gas and in a proper range of mixes to achieve a decent margin throughout the dive, especially on bailout. I’m certain my inexperience is causing me to want greater margins than you’re planning and maybe they’re unrealistic.

But getting them into and out of the water seems like it would be pretty far down the list during cost/benefit analysis...

Again: unsolicited questions/observations from an unqualified diver — the definition of “peanut gallery”. Please do not be offended by my ignorance, and ignore if I’m in the way.
Large moored boats can put out a tank hang line. That isn’t the kind of diving done in most places. I think BC said he was in Florida, which would be hot drops. No line on live boat recovery.

Edit: not Florida, but someplace warm.

So you are planning a 400 footer and some one you have never drove with asks hey can I join you ? And you agree?

So you are planning a 400 footer and some one you have never drove with asks hey can I join you ? And you agree?
My thoughts as well. Of course, owners shop owners rules (and gas planning). That’s why team bailout isn’t a thing.

I put them on a line. If possible. I once had to climb the ladder with them when both the current and the swell kicked up when I was down. My line was moving up and down too much to put the tanks on it. Two 125s on my back and two 72s on my harness. Glad I didn't have three. It was...um...an adventure. It's hard to unclip on the ladder so the crew can grab tanks when you need both hands to hang on! I was glad I made it so I didn't have to ditch the tanks. I was probably lucky the exertion didn't get me bent.

What's the deal with banning AJ from this thread?

Incase you dosnt know he's one of the most experienced divers on this board he brings a lot of expertise based on actual real dives .

I was probably lucky the exertion didn't get me bent.

Exactly why we don't let divers climb our ladder with bottles on .

A lost bottle is a lot cheaper than a helicopter ride.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom