Ditchable weight options for backplate and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is similar to what I’m using albeit with dive rite pouches. What are you using to attach the top of the pockets to the backplate? I like how you have those configured.

I just used some webbing I had laying around that had a threaded buckle on it. I think they were originally leg straps for a knife sheath. :)

I've been messin' around with trying to figure out the "perfect" weight-integrated BP/Wing system ever since I got an At-Pac in the 1970's. The above-configuration is as close as I've come.

I tried a pair of those and, no matter how I mounted them, they took up the majority of the waist strap (I am not very big, most jacket bcds drown me - i switched to a bp/w partly so I could have gear that would fit). I ended up taking them off and sticking a cam band with pouches on my tank.

My GUE Fundamentals instructor replaced my weight belt with hard weights threaded directly onto the right waist strap of my webbing, retained by a second belt buckle. The main benefit is that it's easier to drop just a few weights instead of the whole belt so you aren't shooting to the surface uncontrollably. Supposedly it also makes it easier to vent gas from drysuit legs, though I can't say I notice much of a difference myself.

I'm not sure I get this...
So, you have in fact multiple buckles? 1 to retain your lamp on the right hip (if you use one with a canister), 1 to retain lead - also on the right hip? Another to retain lead on the left hip? and the buckle of your bp/w...

When you should drop weight... you open the buckle of the waist strap, remove the buckle retaining the lead, drop lead, put the lead buckle back in place and close the buckle of your waist strap again?

I really would like to see a photo of this...

I'm not sure I get this...
So, you have in fact multiple buckles? 1 to retain your lamp on the right hip (if you use one with a canister), 1 to retain lead - also on the right hip? Another to retain lead on the left hip? and the buckle of your bp/w...

When you should drop weight... you open the buckle of the waist strap, remove the buckle retaining the lead, drop lead, put the lead buckle back in place and close the buckle of your waist strap again?

I really would like to see a photo of this...

I'll try to remember to post a photo after I finish rinsing my gear; I've been putting it off for the last week because it was forecasted to rain.

The weights are held behind the light canister or long hose retainer, so there's just one buckle that retains both the canister and weights on the right hip. To get your rig balanced so you can swim up from depth with a wing failure, you would have to unbuckle the main waist strap buckle, remove the buckle retaining the canister and weights, and let the weights fall off. If you're using a can light, you may want to rethread the light onto the webbing unless you're using one of the old heavy canisters that are like 6 lb negative that effectively acts as your ditchable weight.

I tried a pair of those and, no matter how I mounted them, they took up the majority of the waist strap (I am not very big, most jacket bcds drown me - i switched to a bp/w partly so I could have gear that would fit). I ended up taking them off and sticking a cam band with pouches on my tank.

+1: if/when I need weight on my waist, it's either it or the pocket I currently use for the slate and stuff, but not both.

I'll try to remember to post a photo after I finish rinsing my gear; I've been putting it off for the last week because it was forecasted to rain.

The weights are held behind the light canister or long hose retainer, so there's just one buckle that retains both the canister and weights on the right hip. To get your rig balanced so you can swim up from depth with a wing failure, you would have to unbuckle the main waist strap buckle, remove the buckle retaining the canister and weights, and let the weights fall off. If you're using a can light, you may want to rethread the light onto the webbing unless you're using one of the old heavy canisters that are like 6 lb negative that effectively acts as your ditchable weight.

Yes please, when you have the chance... I'm really curious to see this.
In my BCD I worked with integrated weight pockets. Now, with my bp/w I started using a weight belt again.
The weight belt doesn't bother me because I only take a 2 or 3 kilos on it, depending which wetsuit I wear. But I do want to discuss your way with my GUE-mentor.

+1: if/when I need weight on my waist, it's either it or the pocket I currently use for the slate and stuff, but not both.

I'm currently considering a small pocket on one side of the waist strap that can hold little accessories or a weight, depending on what I need. Something as small as a trim pocket may work without adding bulk and I could tuck it right up against the plate.

Here is my single tank, single hose reg setup in the same configuration as the one with my backplate/double hose reg setup shown earlier. M

5uMpCS.jpg

iVYQ2O.jpg

Here is my single tank, single hose reg setup in the same configuration as the one with my backplate/double hose reg setup shown earlier. M

View attachment 575396
View attachment 575397

Those pockets look much more comfortable to use than the ones from Tecline.
I have a pair of the latter but they are 1-very rigid and 2- placed horizontal on the waist strap. Since I have a tiny waist and the fact they are so rigid, they stick out instead of following the curve. Therefor I haven't used them yet.

Those pockets look much more comfortable to use than the ones from Tecline.
I have a pair of the latter but they are 1-very rigid and 2- placed horizontal on the waist strap. Since I have a tiny waist and the fact they are so rigid, they stick out instead of following the curve. Therefor I haven't used them yet.

My OMS pouches were designed to be used horizontal but I modified them to make them vertical and much more comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom