Ditching the depth gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pixiefish

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On my most recent dive trip I noticed that my depth gauge no longer worked - it just doesn't register anything. As I use a computer it was not an inconvenience at all. It's in a double instrument console with my pressure gauge.

I'm thinking of replacing it with just a single small pressure gauge, in the interests of slimlining my kit. What are people's opinions on diving with only the computer, and ditching the analogue depth gauge? Complete no-no or acceptable?

The sort of diving I do; tend to be guided dives although if I have a suitable buddy and local laws allow I do like to go more independently. Next diving will be next week in Egypt, after that will be in SE Asia next year - where I plan to spend a longer period of time, probably several months, diving, may well undertake the DM course.

Well, you can ditch the console depth gauge no problem, but you should plan for some redundancy. Think about getting a wrist mounted depth gauge or bottom timer.

I think almost everybody I know uses their dive computer as their depth gauge.

A slim way is to get a dive watch that has the depth, also you can download your dives, and do you use a compass, is it on the console, if not a small pressure gauge is Ideal.

Unless you are planning and managing your dives on tables in spite of have a computer, the back-up depth gauge seems to be almost useless. If the computer fails, then you need to safely end your dive. I guess a back-up depth gauge would be useful if you are unable to manage a safe ascent without a gauge providing you depth information. If you just don't trust your computer, then consider a back-up computer rather than just a depth gauge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you can ditch the console depth gauge no problem, but you should plan for some redundancy. Think about getting a wrist mounted depth gauge or bottom timer.

I can think of no valid argument why a recreational diver needs depth gauge redundancy, other than 'redundancy for the sake of redundancy'.

You do your dive and your computer dies. You're gonna ascend, because even with a second depth gauge you still won't have an accurate method of tracking your nitrogen absorption. Yes, you could carry a dive timer...and an RDP.... in your pocket, BUT chances are you're computer led dive will have taken you past your RDP NDL anyway.

So... you're gonna ascend. Ascend. Do a safety stop and exit the water. You've got a buddy to help with that. Even if you lost that buddy... you can still ascend safely (can't you?). The safety stop isn't mandatory, so you can miss that if you're unable to estimate 5m (2 body lengths) and count-off for 3 minutes...

would there be any PADI protocol issues with not having a depth gauge on a DM course?

So your highest priority is keeping PADI happy? They have more sway than I had imagined.

All computers without exception read depth and time, how else would they work?. You have a dive computer therefore you have a depth gauge.

would there be any PADI protocol issues with not having a depth gauge on a DM course?

As Mr Carcharodon said, your dive computer would count as a depth gauge and timing device (because, well,... it provides accurate depth and time information).

PADI would have serious issues if you didn't have any form of depth information... but there is no standard that demands you use an analogue gauge in preference to a digital one.

At a recreational diving level, there's also no standard or recommendation that you need redundancy.

All you need is a $65 dollar watch with a built in depth gauge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom