Dive 3.0 Computers for aging eyes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bruno Genovese

Registered
Reaction score
As we get older the exposure to sunlight over the years pretty much guarantees that we will need reading glasses, even to read our dive computers.

The magnifying effect of water and large fonts of some computers helps, but there is a point when reading lenses at the bottom of the mask become necessary. And yet, those lenses reduce the field of view while diving, making them very annoying.

Luckily, although there is variation from person to person, I noticed (through the very unscientific method of sharing glasses to read restaurant menus) that most (unfortunately not all) aging eyes likely to need lenses underwater use a reading prescription between 2.0 and 3.0.

To help people choose computers that can be used without reading lenses underwater, IF YOUR READING PRESCRIPTION IS BETWEEN 2.0 and 3.0, please list your personal experience with computer models while DIVING WITHOUT LENSES using the format I use below:

CRESSI GIOTTO
Can read main values: YES
Can read other indicators: NO
Price class: ENTRY LEVEL

SCUBAPRRO CHROMIS
Can read main values: NO
Can read other indicators: NO
Price class: ENTRY LEVEL

Where main values are things like depth, temperature, no decompression limit, safety stop timer. And other indicators are things like battery level, altitude, alerts,etc.

The two computers above are the ones we have at home. I like the Chromis' features better, but I dive with the Giotto to avoid mask lenses... and I had to memorize the position of the "other indicators" so that I know what those "blurs" mean :)

I use prescription mask with gauge reader semi circles and have no problem seeing at distance or up close. I don't even notice the gauge readers normally when looking around.

Can kinda participate...I am just shy of 2 and have one good eye for reading.
I picked up a Mares Quad and am very pleased with it. I paid $193 shipped.
Someone will come along an complain about their conservatism, but no care, I am getting older so thats fine. It's not as conservative as my NiTek, which is very hard for me to read.
I did purchase a mask with cheaters, but the problem with those is if your mask leaks, droplets on the lenses makes it near impossible to use them. YMMV.

I did purchase a mask with cheaters, but the problem with those is if your mask leaks, droplets on the lenses makes it near impossible to use them. YMMV.

If you clear your mask and have water droplets that hang around on the inside of the lens, that suggests to me that the lens is not as clean as it should be.

I have SeaVision masks with gauge reader lenses. I also have facial hair, so I typically have to clear my mask a few times during each dive. Despite frequently getting water inside (and thus, on the gauge reader lenses), I don't have any trouble seeing through them to read small/close stuff. Water droplets do not hang around on the reader lenses.

To help people choose computers that can be used without reading lenses underwater, IF YOUR READING PRESCRIPTION IS BETWEEN 2.0 and 3.0, please list your personal experience with computer models while DIVING WITHOUT LENSES using the format I use below:

I wear 2.0 readers. I use masks with built in reader lenses because there turns out to be a lot of things besides just my computer that I want to see clearly when up close during a dive. Examples: My camera controls and display screen, small critters, shark teeth on the bottom, my compass, pieces of line when a knot accidentally comes undone, my buddy's computer when they are trying to show me something, an SPG.

In other words, I think being able to see stuff clearly that is small/close does not just enhance the dive, it can also be a safety issue. So, I would encourage anybody to really consider using reader lenses if they need them. And if you do that, then there is no need to buy a Jitterbug dive computer.

I wear 2.0 readers. I use masks with built in reader lenses because there turns out to be a lot of things besides just my computer that I want to see clearly when up close during a dive. Examples: My camera controls and display screen, small critters, shark teeth on the bottom, my compass, pieces of line when a knot accidentally comes undone, my buddy's computer when they are trying to show me something, an SPG.

In other words, I think being able to see stuff clearly that is small/close does not just enhance the dive, it can also be a safety issue. So, I would encourage anybody to really consider using reader lenses if they need them. And if you do that, then there is no need to buy a Jitterbug dive computer.
I tried once to dive with lenses in my mask. It was horrible. I lost 1/3 of the mask's viewing area for the readers, and the water droplets on the lenses made the lenses useless.

But a mask that comes from factory with the reading prescription might be better (as some mentioned).

But now I am very weary, I don't want to pay $100-200 just to find out that I picked the wrong brand/model and I'm stuck with a paperweight.

My wife and I dive with a close-up disposable contact lens in one of our eyes. It works well and allows us to see both close up and distant objects clearly. A single box of disposable contacts will last a long time if only used for diving and are inexpensive.

If you clear your mask and have water droplets that hang around on the inside of the lens, that suggests to me that the lens is not as clean as it should be..

Or that the cheater lense is plastic.
Lost the mask anyway.

I bought a used Shearwater Predator that solved all my aged eye underwater issues. Super bright OLED display screen with large number displays. I find that my dives are much more enjoyable now without having to struggle to see what my computer is telling me. The used older models can be had for a song and even though it's a few years old it's more computer than I'll ever need. It's also great on night dives.

If you clear your mask and have water droplets that hang around on the inside of the lens, that suggests to me that the lens is not as clean as it should be.

I have SeaVision masks with gauge reader lenses. I also have facial hair, so I typically have to clear my mask a few times during each dive. Despite frequently getting water inside (and thus, on the gauge reader lenses), I don't have any trouble seeing through them to read small/close stuff. Water droplets do not hang around on the reader lenses.
I need 2.0 readers.
The plastic dive optics constantly fog up in both cold (47f) and warm water (84f). It doesn't matter how clean you get them. Using a mask scrub just scratches them up.
Based on a recommendation from my LDS I am switching to Trident Aqua Optics glass reader add-ins glued in with dishwasher safe super glue.
I'll post the results after my first dive with them.
G

Back
Top Bottom