Dive Adventures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuberd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I was just wondering, based on your individual skill and experience level, what do you consider a diving Adventure. There are no wrong answers and feel free to build on what someone else may have posted already
Cheers!

An adventure for me would be exploring a brand new site, wreck, reef, wall, planet, etc. Some place no other modern human has ever been to. I'm not sure how many of those places exist anymore but I'm looking!

A great question.

I am so envious of Florida cave divers - it must be so wonderful to venture into those systems particularly for the first time and see a natural beauty that so few others have seen. I imagine there'll be times when natural light lights up the darkness and reveals the awesome beauty of the formations. I also imagine that after a dive where you venture somewhere for the first time there must be a moment when you just sit back and chuckle to yourself - a deep seated moment of joy when all the effort you've gone through to get there seems to make it all worthwhile.

I have always been of the opinion that every dive is, at the minimum, an adventure. It's the dynamic nature of the ocean and its perpetually changing environment that makes diving so enjoyable for me. You can visit the same site over and over again and it will always be slightly different. For this reason, I believe the adventure in diving comes from looking for each of these differences, which when combined make each dive completely different from the last and the next!

Don't know if I'll ever get there, but any Pacific diving would be a new adventure for me. Particularly the GBR, of course. My shell collecting from the Pacific is only from snorkelling & beach combing.

Scout new dive locations for charter dive boats, this can still be regularly done in southcentral Alaska, southeast Alaska, and British Columbia. I have friends that have recently done this in Hawaii, where the site may be unkown to the current operator but may be known to others. Adventure can occur when you go somewhere and do something for the first time, even though others have done it.

Years ago I dived on a vessel called the Peacock off Santa Cruz Island, California. It was a minesweeper. That started a fascination for me with that and other vessels. The origin of the Peacock was shrouded in local lore, vague recollections, and downright speculation. I worked on finding out about the vessel and in the process discovered alot about the maritime heritage of the Channel Islands and allowed me to work as a volunteer mapping wrecks. That eventually led to employment. One never knows where an adventure will lead until you take off on one.

I was just wondering, based on your individual skill and experience level, what do you consider a diving Adventure. There are no wrong answers and feel free to build on what someone else may have posted already
Cheers!

An adventure for me would be exploring a brand new site, wreck, reef, wall, planet, etc. Some place no other modern human has ever been to. I'm not sure how many of those places exist anymore but I'm looking!

This ... although it left me with more a sense of wonder than adventure.

IMG_5728.jpg

For the most part I tend to look at diving as a recreational activity ... a way to relax. And so, generally speaking, if a dive is an adventure, it implies it didn't exactly go according to plan ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This ... although it left me with more a sense of wonder than adventure.

IMG_5728.jpg

For the most part I tend to look at diving as a recreational activity ... a way to relax. And so, generally speaking, if a dive is an adventure, it implies it didn't exactly go according to plan ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's what I first thought when I saw the title. Don't need any of that.

Many possible answers, none wrong, but for me some of my most memorable "adventures" were dives that challenged my experience and training up to that point and that gave me a sense of accomplishment and boosted my confidence. For example, making the blue water swim back from the Way North Wall in La Jolla and seeing the ocean bottom slowly come back into view, rising up to meet me; diving the oil rigs off of Long Beach in 600+ feet of water from a live boat; making the tricky rock entry at Marineland; and diving Scripps canyon and getting narked for the first time.
I've had many other adventures that were amazing experiences such as diving with whale sharks and manta rays, and diving Truk Lagoon, but I am most grateful for the dives that made me a better diver. I've dived all around the world now but it's my hundreds of California dives that gave me the experience and confidence to deal with unexpected situations, regardless of location.

I'm getting certified this summer. Right now, any dive looks like an adventure to me. No matter when and where you dive, you are still going somewhere and seeing things that a majority of people can't.

For me, it's an adventure if there is a substantial "newness" about it. My biggest one to date was laying line in (about 150 feet of) virgin cave in Mexico. I don't think I needed a dive light to get out of the cave on that dive -- the glow in my face would have been enough to see my way!

But I've also had a strong sense of adventure the couple of times I've dived a site about which no information was available, even though it was likely that SOMEONE had done it before. And I'd feel a sense of adventure if I went down to Medford and joined my friend *dave* doing some river diving, because I've never dived in a river.

I think the bottom line is that, if there is something unknown about the diving, then it feels like an adventure. This is to contrast it with, for example, diving our local training site, where the only unknown is exactly what kind of critters I'm going to see, and exactly how bad the viz is :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom