Dive Alabama/Pelham- Logistics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lv2dive

Formerly known as KatePNAtl
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am going to the DUI Dog Day in Pelham this Saturday and I wanted to get an idea of the setup there.... I've seen pictures but it's not clear to me how many stairs there are. I'm trying to decide whether to dive doubles (already set up and ready to go) or deal with rearranging my gear for singles configuration and renting/borrowing a tank.

Obviously, huge benefit to the doubles in that they are ready to go (in my car in fact). Downside is, how much work does it take to get from staging area to diving area? I can repeatedly walk my doubles up and down some stairs (Blue Grotto) but not others (40 Fathom).

So I'm trying to find out, should I try and get single gear sorted out, or will I be ok with doubles? Any input appreciated.

You don't have to use the steps to exit. By the shop there are stairs you can use to exit or you can walk up the trail. On the back side its sloped down to the water. Its a good workout, but there are a lot of divers doing it. My rig is HP100's and this old man is doing it.

You don't have to use the steps to exit. By the shop there are stairs you can use to exit or you can walk up the trail. On the back side its sloped down to the water. Its a good workout, but there are a lot of divers doing it. My rig is HP100's and this old man is doing it.

Thank you sir! This is really good news since I absolutely forgot to hook up with a friend who has a single with an H valve! (I need to get my rec gear serviced.) Thanks again.

there is a 100lb red head girl that walks up and down that hill all the time with her lp95's...if she can do it anyone can lol

It's totally doable...there's a walking path that runs down the hill as well as the main stairs...the walking path is sooooo much easier than hoofing your doubles up the stairs.

If you can cave dive with those buggers, you can make it in and out of the water at Blue Water :D

there is a 100lb red head girl that walks up and down that hill all the time with her lp95's...if she can do it anyone can lol

And if all goes well, we shall see if I'm still capable of the feat next weekend!

provided I don't end up in a cave or on a wreck next weekend, I'll be in pelham too

Anyone know the current water temps at Pelham (above and below the first thermocline)?

I appreciated the input ahead of time. As a followup - I used the stairs once and the walking path/trail the other, no problems at all! I'll definitely be back again. Little bit of a drive from Atlanta but I've got a dive buddy in Birmingham, so that helps!

will be there saturday...looks like there will be quite a few tech divers there this saturday. I'm doing a 2 stage dive around the back perimeter and I may have a few with me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom