Dive Alaska

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jencks23

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My family and I are planning a cruise to alaska in two years and I am starting to do some research about doing some diving while we are in port. Any tips?

If you google Ketchikan Alaska scuba diving you will get multiple hits.

We chose to do a fishing charter as opposed to diving while there - so I have no personal experience with the diving.

Went on two cruises...enjoyed them very much../ no diving

Pulled our travel trailer from California to Alaska - gone 3 months...no shore diving - all by boat charter-was not prepared to dive and not interested in diving

Visited two shops ...not Impressed with shops. both trained in summer and sponsored trips to tropics in winter

In Anchorage there is a good used book store crammed with modern and vintage used diving books

enjoy your trip -- dress warm

SDM

Wind and Water is the dive shop in Ketchikan, but it will be very difficult to combine diving with a cruise. They don't offer guided dives or tours, so unless you show up prepared to dive as an experienced coldwater drysuit diver, it probably won't work out. That said, Southeast Alaska has very good quality shore diving.

In Ketchikan, you might also take a look at Snorkel Alaska, who caters to cruise ship passengers. They don't offer dive tours, but there's a lot to be seen in our top 20 feet of water.

Across Alaska, you'll find that our dive shops aren't particularly supportive of local diving. Sam's very right that they focus primarily on training divers to dive elsewhere. It can be hard to connect with the active local divers, but trust me... we're out there, year-round. :wink:

IMG_0293.JPG

-B

I was lucky enough to dive on a cruise stop in Ketchikan in 2006. Unfortunately, they guy I dove with does not look to be there any more. I believe it was called "Alaska Deep Six" or something like that. I brought my gear (except tanks and weights which were provided for me) and was picked up at the cruise ship dock for 2 shore dives at Mountain Point (where the snorkelling excursion was held). I was back at the dock in plenty of time to poke a bit around Ketchikan on foot, and was back on the ship in plenty of time.

We had two of the most memorable dives that I have ever done. An amazing amount of sea life, including a giant pacific octopus. The diving was one of the best parts of the cruise!

At the time, a 2pc 7mm wetsuit was fine for me. The water was 50F at depth (I just checked my log), which is actually warmer than the Lake Huron water that I was diving regularly at the time (40F at depth).

Contending with colder water dive gear in the confines of a cruise ship cabin (storage, rinsing and drying the wetsuit and other gear, etc.) was a bit of a nuisance though...

Sorry I can't help more, since the guy I used is no longer there. Best of luck in finding a dive opportunity though!

My family and I are planning a cruise to alaska in two years and I am starting to do some research about doing some diving while we are in port. Any tips?

You're going to love Alaska. My wife and I are becoming veteran cruisers (now 2-3 times a year) and just did our first Alaska trip, got back only three weeks ago. You don't mention when and where you will be there (mid-summer is most expensive), but I do have a suggestion you may want to look into, depending on your schedule and itinerary. From what I've found, it looks very interesting. It will definitely be on my short list for our next Alaska trip

The owner of my LDS told me about a friend of his who had gone diving in Alaska with "Salmon Sharks". They seem to be very shy, smaller versions of Great Whites and make for great a great dive experience. I'd never heard of then before he mentioned it to me. Googling it, they seem to congregate in specific areas around Prince William Sound/Valdez to feed on salmon, so if you are on a cruise that stops in Anchorage/Whittier around that time, this might be an option.

Just thought I'd throw this out there. Enjoy your cruise ;o)

Back
Top Bottom