Dive Alerts, safety sausages, etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
(or, what can I stuff in my BC pockets)

What sort of safety equipment do people carry? I've seen a few different bits of equipment in shops and on the web that look useful - safety sausages, strobes, buddy lanyards, "Dive Alerts" - I'd like to hear what some more experienced divers have used. The idea of having a safety sausage and a glostick stashed in a BC pocket is appealing. I'm also looking at a Dive Alert - anyone used one? Do they get in the road of your inflator? And what about marker lights? I've seen different ones that attach to your tank, and to your BC, but I've never seen anyone dive with one (although I haven't done any night dives yet). At the moment my "safety" equipment consists of a 4 AA torch. Most of my diving is in potentially low-vis areas, like Monterey and Melbourne.

Ben.

For me, it's the dive profile that sets what "safety" items I carry on my person.

Since I dive more frequently in freshwater quarries and lakes, I don't include an singaling devices such as a sausage or mirror. I do have my whistle however since it's the best thing to attract someone's attention when on the surface. And I also have my backup dive light (a small UK 4 C-cell pocket light) at all times just in case there is something in the dark that needs illuminating.

When blue water diving, I carry just about everything. Since the conditions on the surface can change while I'm underwater, I definitely want to be prepared for any strangeness that will be there when I surface.

You asked about marker lights. I only carry one withn I am night diving, and this is one of the "laser sticks" that replaces the chemical light sticks. This is for my buddy so he can spot me.

On my most recent dive to Terrell Springs (see the dive report under the North America Travel section on this board) we had a discussion about use of marker strobes underwater. Mostly to mark important things such as anchor lines and such. But we also could see their use to help with the lost buddy search since in lower vis, a flashing strobe is more likely to be noticed versus a steady light.

That's my two kopeks worth right now. I too am interested in seeing what the others have to contribute.

I dive mainly in fresh water lakes and quarries, and all I carry with me is a Storm whistle. However, in the ocean, say the carribean, I will dive with the DAN kit: sausage, chem stick, and mirror. I know people who have the dive alert: one tried using it in the air pocket in a ship wreck. Lot's of divers made haste to the nearest exit. As I have just in the past year pick up the sausage, and I have been diving for many, I guess I haven't been to a location where that was of great concern. Just my 2 cents worth.

I always carry a safety reel and a lift bag (as a surface marker), a Dive Alert (in the BS' inflator), a backup light, a Z knife and a small knife and a slate.

Be sure that all these items are easily reached whenever you need them.

Cheers

Sue

the whole list includes:-

Dive alert type device (Buddy 'blast')
Whistle
Delayed SMB (+reel)
Normal SMB (+reel)
Strobe
Cyalume sticks
EMT - type cutters
Line/net cutter
Laerdal pocket mask
Slates
Backup torch

Obviously I don't take all this all the time. The EMT cutters, torch, and pocket mask live in the BCD pocket permanently, and the rest gets taken along if and when I need it.

Jon T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom