Dive bag zippers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cappyjon431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just took several of my old dive bags out of storage. Two of them had stuck zippers. I am thinking it is probably salt but I am not 100% certain. I tried blasting them with fresh water with no luck. I tried silicone lubricant with no luck. Any suggestions?

If it's just salt an actual long soaking may work better than a blast. Especially if it's plastic or nylon.

If it's a metal zipper that's salty for awhile, getting rid of the salt may still leave you with a corroded zipper.

I've heard of using vinegar or other things in a solution to help remove salt, and maybe even some corrosion.

I regularly clean my metal zipper pulls with vinegar when they start sticking and that works. If they are really stuck soak the vinegar on overnight.

Probably more so for metal zippers... my mother had taught me when I was a little kid to use wax to keep zippers working well. The simple way to get the wax was to use a candle and rub it over the threads.

I had salt water corroded zippers on several jackets. I sprayed them with WD-40 and worked a bit and they all started working again. A bit surprised. I started with a minimally corroded rain jacket and when that worked, I went to work on zippers I had given up on. There is also a product for divers which is a lubricant/cleaner for zippers. I've started using that when I return from an overseas dive trip. (These were plastic zippers with metal slides and pulls.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom