Dive Boat Conception Missing Divers Relief Fund

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If they allow these fundraisers to be promoted on their pages, they will be inundated by fundraisers and they have no way to vet them. When we set up a gofundme to raise funds to search for Cameron when he disappeared off the coast of Cozumel, the Cozumel4u facebook page made an exception for us against the objection of a couple of their mods. As soon as we closed the gofundme and acknowledged that he was unlikely to be found after a week of searching, they took it down. This subject is touchy for fb because of the potential for abuse.

Chris and I settled on $35K because we wanted to provide a $1,000/per diver for their families to help pay for hotels and other expenses that might not be covered by insurance. This is stressful enough for them that we want to get something to them ASAP. This is the community wanting to support the community.

I had shared the DAN link on 1-2 diving groups on FB. Mods deleted it. They claim to be heartbroken about the loss of everyone in the fire, some of the victims had apparently been members of these groups, yet refuse to allow the link to the DAN fundraising effort. Unknown why.
I've been sharing the link to ScubaBoard about this fundraiser and it has yet to be deleted.

I had shared the DAN link on 1-2 diving groups on FB. Mods deleted it. They claim to be heartbroken about the loss of everyone in the fire, some of the victims had apparently been members of these groups, yet refuse to allow the link to the DAN fundraising effort. Unknown why.

That's one of the reasons they are called fake book.

@The Chairman thank you for all you do on this forum, so much of which I am sure is behind the scenes and under appreciated. @cerich I also appreciate the business ethic, customer service and expertise that you bring to the table, and I really like your products!! While so many were just trying to hunt down information and chime in with our opinion of what might have happened, you stepped up and actually did something useful to the families. You rock. I hope that as many that are willing to spend considerable time on this forum commenting and reading etc. are also willing to give, no matter what amount it all adds up.

For the surviving crew, they also have a long and difficult road ahead of them. It seems like quite a few people on here have had direct interaction with them on past trips. Perhaps we can consider what might be done for them also? I don't know how they are paid (salary vs. hourly etc.), but they are now potentially on a lessened income while also having some increased expenses on top of dealing with the after effects.

If they allow these fundraisers to be promoted on their pages, they will be inundated by fundraisers and they have no way to vet them. When we set up a gofundme to raise funds to search for Cameron when he disappeared off the coast of Cozumel, the Cozumel4u facebook page made an exception for us against the objection of a couple of their mods. As soon as we closed the gofundme and acknowledged that he was unlikely to be found after a week of searching, they took it down. This subject is touchy for fb because of the potential for abuse.

The Girls that Scuba group mod actually responded and they said no fundraisers. Period. They were also removing links people had posted that included audio of the mayday call. Called it too disturbing.

Girls that Scuba is a business

It has been brought to my attention that someone, somewhere thinks this Go Fund Me is fraudulent. I guess this should be in the "Let no good deed go unpunished" department. this is for real.
There's a word for people like that but if I use it, I'll just get moderated.

Back
Top Bottom