Dive Boat Etiquette on SoCal Boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shore diving is not always an option which leaves the book! Last time I did a liveaboard we gave 15% as per the "etiquette" which was 600.00$ for 2 people. I think it is a little excessive to request 15% in that case. My point is just that people with less money should not feel bad after leaving 150.00$ per head. Diving is such a great activity, it should be available to as much people as possible.

big dog13:
xepi33 first of all stay on the beach refers to beach diving reading a book is optional as for a week of diving say 2 people total of 16 dives $200.00 to 250.00 would be fine I think however when planning a week vacation to throw in an extra 250.00 or so is easy to do

xepi33
I agree I think 600.00 would be a little much! Im not sure where the 15% came from I feel on any boat (day or liveaboard) as I have done both $15.00 to $20.00 per person per day is I did however once tip a dm who, after a long and very productive hunting trip, clean all! of my harvest and did soon his own, he said he wanted to try out a new knife......

big dog13:
xepi33
I agree I think 600.00 would be a little much! Im not sure where the 15% came from I feel on any boat (day or liveaboard) as I have done both $15.00 to $20.00 per person per day is I did however once tip a dm who, after a long and very productive hunting trip, clean all! of my harvest and did soon his own, he said he wanted to try out a new knife......

I usually stick with $5/dive when considering a tip, more if the crew was really helpful (read=carried my gear to the boat/back to the dock). I learn crew names and am friendly. The latter is just as important as the tip.

For a liveaboard trip, the $5/dive would be a start. You need to take into account that it is a floating hotel & restaurant as well. Think about how much $$ you might leave for the maid, waiters, etc... on a land based trip. If you add it all up, $30 a day seems reasonable. I went on a four day liveaboard trip and it was *suggested* to tip $40/day which seemed a bit much to me.

If an establishment 'suggests' a tip amount, there's a very good chance their people are not going to be happy with the tip I leave as a result.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I tip based on the service I get, not some arbitrary amount like 2x the tax. Having said that, I always tip well when I go on the Peace, the service merits it.

If you really want my opinion on tipping, watch Reservoir Dogs, Mr. Pink.

Those of you in the service industry, don't hate me, it's just my opinion.

PhotoTJ:
If an establishment 'suggests' a tip amount, there's a very good chance their people are not going to be happy with the tip I leave as a result.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I tip based on the service I get, not some arbitrary amount like 2x the tax. Having said that, I always tip well when I go on the Peace, the service merits it.

If you really want my opinion on tipping, watch Reservoir Dogs, Mr. Pink.

Those of you in the service industry, don't hate me, it's just my opinion.

with you, want a tip earn it

For those of you who obviously make more money that some of us, consider this.

If you follow even 10% of the cost of the trip, two people on a $3000 live aboard trip woukd have to save $3600 just to go. I always tip "what I can " but I will not miss a trip cause I can't drop an extra $500 on crew tip. That said, I do feel bad about it but we do what we can with what we have. Flame on, I am with Mr Pink.

When did we make the transition to tipping on liveaboard vacations? I think that's been discussed at length elsewhere. Here, I generally make it $15-20 per day, but may do more or less depending upon the service (or lack thereof.)

Local boats - $5-$10 per tank depending on service

Liveaboards - 10% of the charter price at a minimum - unless there is some reason why a lower tip is warranted. Anything less is, IMHO, an insult to people who have been at your beckon call for 24 hours a day for a week.

Simply my humble opinion, but if you can afford to drop $2K + for a week of diving, you can afford the tip.

Chris

ChrisM:
Local boats - $5-$10 per tank depending on service

Liveaboards - 10% of the charter price at a minimum - unless there is some reason why a lower tip is warranted. Anything less is, IMHO, an insult to people who have been at your beckon call for 24 hours a day for a week.

Simply my humble opinion, but if you can afford to drop $2K + for a week of diving, you can afford the tip.

Chris

people from other country's where tipping is not the norm. My last live aboard in Oz passengers from Oz, Argentina and Japan. We were the only ones to tip.

"Simply my humble opinion, but if you can afford to drop $2K + for a week of diving, you can afford the tip."

I disagree, lots of us do not make a lot of money and saving 2 grand for a trip takes a long time and is hard to do. Sure diving is expensive but assuming we are all rich and can afford to throw in an extra wad of cash is not accurate. I'll tell you, I work my *** off for my pay and try my best to save for day trips on local boats, my tip is commiserate to the quality of the work the crew puts out. They work hard, they get a good tip. If the work is half-asses, the tip (or perhaps the lack of one) reflects that. Waitress, deckhands, valets and others in service industries should not expect a tip for having a warm body, tips are earned. Dive safe!
\
James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom